Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kjordanov, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Hey guys, I have a Ameraucana rooster (but upon reading apparently he isn't a true Ameraucana but is an EE?..), anyway, I have 8 eggs in my incubator (due to hatch tomorrow) .. 7 are crossed with brown leghorn hens and 1 is either a buff Orpington, or a buff brahma... I'm curious as to if there's a chance to tell which chicks will be which gender, or a chance of knowing what they'll look like?! I'm completely knew to hatching my own so just taking things day by day. If by chance there's a way to tell, do share! Thank you:)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately you will just have to wait until they hatch and grow up a bit before you will know, that's part of the fun I think.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Neither Brown Leghorn hens, Buff Orpington hens, or Buff Brahma hens have the right genetics for sexlinking. For a red sexlink, you need a silver (black and white) hen and a red/gold rooster. For black sexlinks, you need barred/cuckooed hens and a non-white, non-barred rooster. What they will look like depends largely on what the rooster looks like.

4. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Ok, thank you all! Can't wait :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by