Any ideas?

alibond

Chirping
13 Years
May 26, 2008
Please let me know if you have any ideas what is wrong. I have an older hen I rescued. I don't know her exact age. I've had her with my flock for a year now. She's bug free, comb looks good, good appetite, no weird respiratory noises or other noises, poop looks fine.

She can walk, but then gets off balance. Sort of stumbles like someone with bad knees or arthritis or something. If she falls over she can't get up. Once I put her on her feet she can walk until she falls over again for whatever reason.

This has been going on for about a week. I did catch the goose on top of her yesterday, pinning her down and being a punk. I brought her in and age her a nice warm soak thinking she might be egg bound. I let her sleep inside where it was warm and she was fine. Still had the a mobility issue this morning.

She "winks" her vent, a term I use for my mares when they are in heat. I thought she might be constipated (does that happen with chickens?) or egg bound. She pooped fine this morning.

She just doesn't act sick, but her mobility is just awful. Any ideas?

I would guess its a minor injury from the goose, or a rooster. I have also seen scaly leg mites cause problems with walking but usually you will see some blood. if her legs are really rough this could be the problem.

keep me updated,
brian

I'm thinking its bumble foot. I can see the scab.
if you can see a scab your probably right. here is what I do, someone else may have something better.
when I notice it, I grab a spray bottle and spray the bottom of the foot. just dampen it your trying to loosen any dirt, and make the scab softer. I get a helper, a needle, tweezers, some iodine and some antibiotic cream (Neosporin but not triple antibiotic), and some saline. if you don't have saline use regular water, boil to sterilize, and let cool. and if you have boiled your water take advantage of the time and spray more water on the foot, wiping it off each time.
I have my helper hold the bird while I use the water to thoroughly clean the lower leg and foot, get between the toes. ive heard of people using tooth brushes but Ive never had to. I then wash with iodine, and using the needle and tweezers open the wound at the scab. it is usually a good idea to wrap a towel around the bird to help restrain. let it drain, look for any "hardened" pus remove if found. rinse again with sterilized water or saline. and fill full of antibiotic salve. apply salve generously and reapply as needed to keep the wound "damp" for 3 days. keeping it damp allows it to drain out any further infection. keep the bird isolated from others until it heals. its best to keep it off of dusty bedding. I usually put mine In a cage that just allows them to get up and turn, and on newspaper until healed. changing the paper 2 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom