Any info about hawk migration in middle TN?

tnxplant

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 13, 2011
We have had our two chickens (10 months old and laying an egg each most days) for about a month - a Rhode Island Red and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. My brother raised them from chicks. They have adapted to their coop and our backyard wonderfully. We generally let them down into the covered run area of the coop early in the morning and let them have the run of the backyard while at least one of us is out in the afternoon for a few hours. The backyard is enclosed by a privacy fence, and they have great foraging opportunities.

Two days ago the ladies got very vocal and upset - we think a hawk flew over and spooked them. Rosie hid under the storage shed, and Lucy got under our fig trees. Yesterday, while they were in their run area, the hawk (very large) perched on the roof of the coop for several minutes. My husband went out, and she flew up into a pine tree nearby. When he came in, she again perched on the coop. He went back out and had to get very close to her (6 ft or less) before she flew away.

Now we are afraid to let the ladies out of the run even while we are in the backyard. (It is about 1/3 acre.) We think that the hawk may be in a migration to warmer climates and wonder if there is any information about how long that can last and when it might be safe to let them out again.

Thanks!

As it cools off, many migratory birds of prey are moving to more desirable climates. Not sure about your local area, but it may be a good idea to keep yours closed up in your run for a few weeks if you don't want to take the chances.

My chooks get upset anytime anything flies overhead, whether it is a plane (small airstrip nearby), sparrow, crow, or bald eagle. Red taileds regularly try and flush out rabbits and whatnot in the fields nearby, but they never paid any attention to my free ranging birds. The local bald eagles seem more content eating roadkill than hunting chooks, too. But every place and every situation is different.

Thanks - that pretty much confirms our thinking to keep them in until the season change is well established.

We live near a river and a 2000 acre park, so the hawks and owls generally have plenty to choose from in those areas. Not sure why this hawk was so intent on the ladies, but we are glad no harm came to them. We are enjoying our eggs and their companionship!

Back
Top Bottom