Any input on this coop?

That would be undersized for 10 hens and 10 won't need 5 nest boxes. They would use 2 nests and possibly would appreciate 3.
:welcome :frow That was my first thought too. This Is my opinion. I started raising chickens around 50 years ago. Much different back then. Most people would say my coops are too small for the number of birds I have but the only time they are in the coops are when they are laying eggs, eating or roosting of which I have plenty of roost space. My birds all have nice large pens that average around around 10'+ to around 20' wide by 60' deep. Most of the time the birds are outside in their pens. Not knowing where you live and the weather conditions also is a factor. I'm in North Central Florida. We do have some chilly temperatures in the winter months but very hot all summer. Whatever you do eventually your birds will be discovered by predators. You may go years with not dealing with any intrusions but most people will eventually experience a loss. Lessons learned the hard way. I have several coops and all are different. All of the coops have access to the nest boxes from outside. Years ago I planted trees in all of the pens for shade for the birds but before I planted the trees I built rain/shade tables for the birds to get under. They like to get under them. Plan well. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/
I love to take pictures and pictures say a lot.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg IMG_20181202_133518.jpg IMG_20190302_104317.jpg IMG_20190302_104435.jpg

Hi there,

You all were so helpful when I posted a possible coop picture, that I thought I'd do it again. Due to your advice, I'm now aiming for between 30-40 sq ft for 6-10 hens (probably starting with 8 this spring).

A local builder has some pre-made coops for sale that look pretty good to me. This is a link to the larger version, but I'd be getting a 5x7 for $850 that is the same design - picture of the 5x7 attached. He said there is ventilation under the roof eaves. It looks well built. I would add a run around it.

Do you have any suggestion for questions I should ask him?

Thank you!
Sonia
Wow, That looks like a fantastic coop for that money!

:welcome :frow That was my first thought too. This Is my opinion. I started raising chickens around 50 years ago. Much different back then. Most people would say my coops are too small for the number of birds I have but the only time they are in the coops are when they are laying eggs, eating or roosting of which I have plenty of roost space. My birds all have nice large pens that average around around 10'+ to around 20' wide by 60' deep. Most of the time the birds are outside in their pens. Not knowing where you live and the weather conditions also is a factor. I'm in North Central Florida. We do have some chilly temperatures in the winter months but very hot all summer. Whatever you do eventually your birds will be discovered by predators. You may go years with not dealing with any intrusions but most people will eventually experience a loss. Lessons learned the hard way. I have several coops and all are different. All of the coops have access to the nest boxes from outside. Years ago I planted trees in all of the pens for shade for the birds but before I planted the trees I built rain/shade tables for the birds to get under. They like to get under them. Plan well. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/
I love to take pictures and pictures say a lot.
View attachment 2553160View attachment 2553161View attachment 2553162View attachment 2553163

Nice setup.

I should have been content with just a few birds but over the years accumulated more and more. It didn't help when I bought a cabinet incubator.

Back
Top Bottom