Any medical supplies to have on hand?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
As a first time chicken owner, before getting my chickens, are there any medical supplies that are good to have on hand, just in case? I know to have an old dog crate ready as a quarantine crate and such, but any medicines or other generally helpful things to have on hand to help with common issues?

As a first time chicken owner, before getting my chickens, are there any medical supplies that are good to have on hand, just in case? I know to have an old dog crate ready as a quarantine crate and such, but any medicines or other generally helpful things to have on hand to help with common issues?
Corid
Vetericyn Plus spray
Nu-stock
Permethrin concentrate
Spray bottle
Poultry Nutri-drench
chick electrolytes
Luer lock syringe (5 cc)
triple antibiotic ointment
chicken size tub for soaking
Epsom salts
assortment of old towels
heavy duty nail file
heavy duty dog nail cutters
a jar of coconut oil
make a baby bottle for hanging in the crate (it keeps them from knocking over or soiling a water dish)
Ancona.jpg

I have a lot more than this but this is good for basic first aid and maintenance.

Corid
Vetericyn Plus spray
Nu-stock
Permethrin concentrate
Spray bottle
Poultry Nutri-drench
chick electrolytes
Luer lock syringe (5 cc)
Epsom salts
assortment of old towels
heavy duty nail file
a jar of coconut oil
make a baby bottle for hanging in the crate (it keeps them from knocking over or soiling a water dish)
View attachment 2165990

I have a lot more than this but this is good for basic first aid and maintenance.
Do you still need the chick electrolytes even when getting hens? Rest of my family doesn't want to raise chicks, and we might end up renting chickens from a farm because beggars can't be choosers. thanks for the response. can you pick some of this up at tractor supply?

Last edited:
Do you still need the chick electrolytes even when getting hens? Rest of my family doesn't want to raise chicks, and we might end up renting chickens from a farm because beggars can't be choosers. thanks for the response, can you pick some of this up at tractor supply?
You can get the Vetericyn, Corid, Permethrin, spray bottle, vertical chicken nipples for the baby bottle and maybe the Nu-stock at TSC.
I just happen to have a perfect sized old container to fit a chicken in for soaks.
I use electrolyte water during heat waves and cold snaps offering it with plain fresh water too. It helps them cope with the stress of the temperature extremes.

Corid
Vetericyn Plus spray
Nu-stock
Permethrin concentrate
Spray bottle
Poultry Nutri-drench
chick electrolytes
Luer lock syringe (5 cc)
Epsom salts
assortment of old towels
heavy duty nail file
a jar of coconut oil
View attachment 2165990

What an awesome list!! Thanks for sharing...literally just asked that question a TSC yesterday. So helpful.

Back
Top Bottom