Any new guesses? 4 week old Trader Joe's chick

Do I understand you correctly that you did the Trader Joe challenge and hatched out commercial eggs you got from a Trader Joe's grocery store?

Good for you! That is a challenge as they've been refrigerated and transported numerous times.

It won't be any breed then as it would be likely a hybrid of Production Red and something else...possibly between Production Reds or between Red Sex Links or whatever the farm has free ranging. I can tell you that no Barred Rock was used as the rooster (no barring), and no White Leghorn was in the production (not dominate white).

What color was the egg? That will give you some clue. (If I remember correctly, the fertile Trader Joe eggs were usually brown).

As to gender...some of the comb looks a bit larger for 4 weeks, another couple of weeks will let you know.

Hybrid pullets tend to mature quickly, so as long as the comb stays yellow, even if it gets some taller "teeth" to it, it usually will be a pullet.

Re-post in a couple of weeks...and I'd love to hear the details if you truly mean the Trader Joe's challenge....how many did you set...is this the only one that hatched?

LofMc

Yes, I literally walked into Trader Joe's ando bought 2 dozen eggs. They were both cage free. 1 was large, the other was extra large. This was my son's science fair project, titled "Egg-citing or Egg-xaggerated"

We made sure the egg cartons were under 10 days since packaging, let them sit on the counter for a few hours and put them in our DIY incubator. After the first 10 days we candled and saw that 1 out of 24 developed. I forgot the day I put the eggs in so I didn't know when lock down was. I was skeptical that it would work at all because I had so many issues with the temperature as it is winter time.

One morning before school, my son ran out house screaming that the chick hatched. It looked very week, still had shells stuck to it's back and hadn't fully absorbed the yok sac. It was also lethargic. I didn't think it would make the night. When it passed the first 48 hours I was very excitef

I kept poking at it so it would not give up the will to live. I saw that this helped in out previous hatch that tested our DIY incubator withe eggs from eBay.

Yes, the egg was brown. These are very hard to candle.

Thank you everyone very much for your responses!

Back
Top Bottom