Any New Hampshire breeders? Not hatchery

Thanks!
I don't think she will ship chicks when it's really warm weather.
I ordered hatching eggs, so that may be an option for you-won't hurt to contact her and ask. I ordered BR and NH so she will send whatever you ask for, if she is still shipping eggs. I'm still learning so have a long way to go.
How are your Barred chickens looking? Do they seem to be pretty big?

How are your Barred chickens looking? Do they seem to be pretty big?
The BR, at least mine, are very slow to feather and mature. This is my cockerel at around 7 1/2wks. I need to get some more photos.

It's been a challenge for me in finding a lot of info on the Stukel and Good Shepard lines. But from what I gather, this combo is slow to mature and in cockerels especially it takes a good year to see development. Again, it depends on your goals. Mine is to have a slower maturing bird, especially in pullets/hens to see if later maturity decreases reproductive disorders and cancers. It may not make any difference and only time will tell.

If you are looking for a hefty, fast maturing bird for butchering, then these BR may not be what you want. I do feel like they will be a good size when mature, but they won't be a good butchering size at say 16wks.
I still have a lot to learn and am looking forward to see how they turn out.

One bit of interesting info I found http://featheredreptilesfarm.weebly.com/barred-plymouth-rock.html
upload_2018-6-5_8-45-15.png

The BR, at least mine, are very slow to feather and mature. This is my cockerel at around 7 1/2wks. I need to get some more photos.

It's been a challenge for me in finding a lot of info on the Stukel and Good Shepard lines. But from what I gather, this combo is slow to mature and in cockerels especially it takes a good year to see development. Again, it depends on your goals. Mine is to have a slower maturing bird, especially in pullets/hens to see if later maturity decreases reproductive disorders and cancers. It may not make any difference and only time will tell.

If you are looking for a hefty, fast maturing bird for butchering, then these BR may not be what you want. I do feel like they will be a good size when mature, but they won't be a good butchering size at say 16wks.
I still have a lot to learn and am looking forward to see how they turn out.

One bit of interesting info I found http://featheredreptilesfarm.weebly.com/barred-plymouth-rock.html
View attachment 1417737

Thanks for that info, It was very insightful. I'm looking to start my own experiment with BR and New Hampshire chickens. Maybe I'll just do New Hampshire from them. Hope they are a bit heftier.

Back
Top Bottom