1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any One Else Work The Graveyard Shift?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by edbama2, Feb 9, 2007.

1. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    I was just curious if anybody here works the graveyard shift. I never thought that I would like it. As it turns out, I have plenty of time to tend to my chickens and my gardening. I no longer have to race against daylight.[​IMG]

2. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    I currently work 3:30pm to 2:00am. I don't mind it but I never get to see my hubby so I'm currently looking for a new job on days. But I know what it's like to work nights.

3. raysflock

raysflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    newfoundland, canada
    Hi Edbama
    I am a shift worker at a paper mill. I work 12 hour shifts, 2 day shifts, 2 night shifts and then 4 days off. The days off are great. Like you, it gives me time to tend my chickens and my vegetable garden. I had a chance to work days, monday to friday 8am to 4pm, turned it down to stay on shift work. In a couple of hours time I will go to work for my second night shift, then my 4 days off.
    Ray from Canada

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, between March and July I hoot for owls! So, I'm working a lot of nights.
    MY absolute favorite shift was 3pm-10pm. I like staying up late and getting up late, so it was perfect. Besides, I could run errands in town while all the stores were open! Of course that was BC (before chickens). can't stay in bed until 11am- my poor chickens need to Freerange! Then again, DH could let them out before work now!

I agree with hypnojessi--the bad part about night shifts is you never get to see your hubby....
    Sandra

5. shareneh

shareneh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    North Dakota
    This is an old post but I want to reply. I have worked nights for the past eight years, most of them midnight to eight shifts. I like this shift because I can sleep during the day and go to sports with the kids and have dinner, help with homework and make sure everyone is in bed before I leave. After I got the chickens I had to sacrifice a couple of hours a day rest but it's worth it. I can just feed them in 15 minutes but I like to watch them and be with them for a little while every morning. I don't have trouble not seeing my hubby because he works day shift so we have evenings together.

6. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I work second shift 4pm to 12:30am in a Chicken plant. I guess I really dont mind the shift since I have gotten used to it, But I never get to see my Better 1/2 (Lilbizzy).
    I only get to see her about 30 minutes in the morning (If I wake up) and then we have sat. nights and sun together.

7. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    interesting topic. I work mostly 12 hour overnights (8pm-8am), 3 in a row then a cluster of days off. While the days off spoil me, I find it hard to have a social life, and when friends and family stay over I struggle to get up at a reasonable time, then feel groggy and nauseous the whole time. Today is an example, 9:30 morning is painful!

I hear anecdotes about the health consequences of night work. Anyone know of any solid evidence of that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by