Any one ever seen this???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee123405, May 18, 2012.

1. chickadee123405

chickadee123405 Hatching

May 18, 2012
    I noticed that my hen had a lump on the side of her breast near her wing. It was a little bigger than a golf ball. There were no feathers in the area. The skin covering it looked dry and brown (almost burnt looking). When touched it oozed yellowish chunks. I haven't been able to find anything on line about this condition. I decided to look at it further. With a knife I cut into the lump and found what looked like cooked chicken meat. It was just like it had been cooked in the oven. The skin was crispy, brown and tough. I cleaned it all out and found normal tissue under it all. I put antibiotics on everything. The hen was never bothered by any of this and seemed to be fine after. I am baffled. I have no electric in my chicken coop and to my knowledge she wasn't hit by lighting. What could have caused this?? Anyone?

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    I have never seen it myself but check out some threads on Fly Strike. I remember one pic of a chicken with about the same condition but it was on her back and the consensus was fly strike.

3. chickadee123405

chickadee123405 Hatching

May 18, 2012
    Nope no maggots or anything like that. it also isn't near its bum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: