Any one ever seen this???

chickadee123405

Hatching
7 Years
May 18, 2012
I noticed that my hen had a lump on the side of her breast near her wing. It was a little bigger than a golf ball. There were no feathers in the area. The skin covering it looked dry and brown (almost burnt looking). When touched it oozed yellowish chunks. I haven't been able to find anything on line about this condition. I decided to look at it further. With a knife I cut into the lump and found what looked like cooked chicken meat. It was just like it had been cooked in the oven. The skin was crispy, brown and tough. I cleaned it all out and found normal tissue under it all. I put antibiotics on everything. The hen was never bothered by any of this and seemed to be fine after. I am baffled. I have no electric in my chicken coop and to my knowledge she wasn't hit by lighting. What could have caused this?? Anyone?

I have never seen it myself but check out some threads on Fly Strike. I remember one pic of a chicken with about the same condition but it was on her back and the consensus was fly strike.

Back
Top Bottom