ANY ONE FROM WYOMING.

mkrassin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
JUST STARTED A NEW CHICK COOP. WILL BE 8 X 16. I PLAN ON ABOUT 20 HENS. OF VARIED BREEDS. MKRASSIN

Hey there, I am in Lander and new to the whole chicken thing. Having fun so far
thumbsup.gif

I posted this on another thread, but also wanted to respond on this one as well.
frow.gif

Hello to those neighbors in Wyoming and surrounding areas. We are north of Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Our older birds are buff Orpington, Easter eggers, and a few Wyandotte's (silver laced) and Australorps all from the feed store early this spring.
We are now hatching fools due to the unprecedented interest of my 12-year-old "chicken crazy" son in; chickens, chicken genetics, pretty colors, and delicious eggs. We hatched a bunch of Black Copper Marans, and out of the first 10, I think 4-5 may be pullets
fl.gif
Out of the next 25 or so, I am not at all sure yet but will certainly have a bunch of extra roos.
I currently have 10 Blue Copper Marans and about 30 Ameraucana eggs in the bators. We also have lavender, black, and blue Orpington eggs in the bators.
Lavender Orpington, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, and a few cream Legbar eggs are on the way.
We are interested in having mainly Orpingtons, Marans and blue-green egg layers of any variety but especially Ameraucanas. I plan to maintain the adult flocks of around 12-14 laying hens of each variety and a few breeding roosters.
We are getting a bit better at high-altitude hatching, (6200 feet) and also having lot of fun with this.
We are studying life science this semester (we home school), and I have used the genetics of chicken coloration, and the "quitters in the bator" to teach both a bit basic genetics and embryology. Mainly, however, we just love chickens, and nothing is cuter or sweeter than baby chicks. My husband has the barbeque grill all warmed up and is waiting for any "culls" from the flock, although I would rather give (sell at cost?) the nicer birds that we do not keep to others who also love raising chickens.
Any questions, comments, or friendships are always welcome.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom