Any one good at Punnett Squares?(for hamsters)

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
With my mice I usually dont have to work to figure out what I will get,but with my hamsters I do and I'm not sure how to do it really.

My male is a Dove( aapp), he is also longhair (ll) and my female is a silver grey (SgSg or Sgsg, not sure if she is heterozygous or homozygous) and she is Dominant Spot (Dsds)

Can any one help me? I hope Im not too confusing,lol.

I know nothing of hamster genetics, but am good at the squares
smile.png

My male is a Dove( aapp), he is also longhair (ll) and my female is a silver grey (SgSg or Sgsg, not sure if she is heterozygous or homozygous) and she is Dominant Spot (Dsds)

What L genes does your female carry? (Ll, LL or ll?)
What A and P genes does your female carry?
What D and Spot genes does your male carry?
What Silver and G genes does your male carry?

See thats the problem, I dont know what either one carries.
The genotype for shorthair(the female) is ++

The male isnt a Dominant Spot, and I dont think it can be carried, it either shows or its not there.
Dove is made from breeding a Black( aa ) with a Cinnamon( pp)

I just learned about those in biology....

Your male's color (dove) genotype would be ap? (He would only get one allele from each parent.)

You said Dominant Spot, but if it can't be carried, wouldn't it be recessive?

Do you know which is recessive, long-hair or short-hair? I'm thinking it's long-hair? So the male is homozygous ll (longhair) and the female homozygous LL (shorthair)?

Is 'sg' equivalent to one allele or two – 's' and 'g?'

Hope I'm not totally steering you off-course here.
big_smile.png

Edited to correct a typo.

Last edited:
Hamsters are so confusing,lol.

According to the standards and stuff, Dove is aapp,not ap.
Longhair is ll, but when shorthaired is listed, its as ++ not LL.

Dominant spot either shows or its not there.Both parents cant be non-dominant spots and have Dominant spot offspring.

The gene for long hair is a recessive trait.

I can't have this perfect, if at all....
hide.gif

If male is ll in hair length (longhaired) and female is LL in hair length (shorthaired), and long hair is recessive, you will have 100% shorthaired babies (though maybe this sort of gene mixes – so you can have different lengths of hair in the litter?), all with the genotype Ll.

If male is DD (not spotted) and female is dd (spotted) and spottedness is recessive, then you will have 100% nonspotted babies and all will have genotype Dd.

If male is Dd (not spotted) and female is dd (spotted), then you will have 50% spotted (genotype dd), 50% not spotted (genotype Dd).

I can't figure out the colors, though....

Edited for another typo....
tongue.png
I must be staying up too late.
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom