any one using a rotating paddock schedule for the birds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchick13, Jan 25, 2012.

1. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    Ok, so my run is a huge mud pit and I am tired of throwing in pine shavings just to watch them get all muddy and nasty after a few days. I am toying with the idea of putting some poultry netting around my current set up and sectioning it off into paddocks which the girls can rotate through. I think this will help bolster the soil in the areas and give it enough rest to grow until the next rotation comes up. I searched for some paddock layouts just to get an idea of the different set ups out there and didn't see very much out there. Any one have any pictures of their set up?

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I really love the pasture paddock idea. I would like to plant some sort of greens in the resting paddock so that when I open that paddock to the chickens they would have a bunch of yummy stuff to eat.
    I have not yet figured out how to make it work in my yard cuz there are dogs in my neighborhood and each paddock would have to be dog proof. For now I have to settle with spending 20 mins every morning collecting greens to toss into the coop.

3. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    That is my plan....if I can figure out how to work it into the coop design i already have. I have some packets of "chicken salad" seeds to put in the resting paddocks which are supposed to be quick growing. I love your coop set up and am totally jealous of your climate! We travel to Hawaii each August. It's my favorite place on the planet (aside from my home!). What a dream to only need to give the hens shelter! We have to worry about snow, ice and biting winds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by