Any opinions on Brower TopHatch Incubator

bedheadchick

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Hello there. I am brand new here and wanted to get some help on incubating. I have a brand new Brower TopHatch incubator that I cannot get to stabalize temp. Anyone have any comments on this kind of incubator? Also, I started a batch in an older hovabator and just read to put eggs in large side up?? Is that true? Should I turn them? They have been in the turner now for 4 days? Thanks for any help.
smile.png

I have two LGs and they are a lot like the hovabators. Yes you need to put them (eggs) large side up. I didn't get a brower top hatch because I read that they fluctuate because they don't have insulation, being all plastic. I heard of a BYC member that got a blankit for hers that helped. So maybe try and wrap a blankit around it? Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I will try to insulate the incubator. Thank you. Do you think its ok to just go in and turn all the eggs big side up if they have been in there for awhile now? Wont hurt chicks growing inside?

Yes I would go in there an turn them big side up. But....I've only been incubating eggs for about 4 months. So hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here.

this is what I had to do to mine:

this is the "jacket" (bubblewrap with material sewed around it)
Chryslerandbator007.jpg

and this is the "hat" that goes on top:
Chryslerandbator009.jpg

It still fluxuated to much for me so I went to these:
newincubators004.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Top Hatch and I am less than pleased with it as I have not been able to get it to stabilize temperatures. So my first batch of eggs is running a bit cooler than optimal because I don't want to take the chance of looking in and seeing the temperature spike over 100 degrees again. That already happened once.

I did make a box to go around it out of Styrofoam insulation and that has helped quite a bit. BUT one shouldn't have to go to those lengths for an incubator. The bad part is that I am too ethical to put it up for sale and let some other unsuspecting person get a poor product.

If you can't tell, my opinion of it is quite poor.

I have only used mine in the spring months (april thru june) in my basement, and had no trouble with the temps. I actually like it.

I sold mine for parts...LOL I did get good hatches out of mine with the jacket and hat....but still not as stable as I would like. I figured someone may need parts or want to fuss with the thing. You know how the saying goes "one mans trash is another mans treasure"

Back
Top Bottom