Any pheasants hang around after you turn them loose - maybe Silver

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by oldguy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. oldguy

oldguy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    A local guy says his silver pheasants sometimes tend to stick around even if they get loose, anybody know other varieties that do likewise?

Thanks

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Most pheasants dont stick around although Im sure some do occasionally. Personally I wouldnt take a chance unless I just had an abundance of extras, that I couldnt get rid of.

ETA: [​IMG] from TN

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My stay around the pens, I wouldn't recommend it but, they could be let out and stick around. But they would be more wild and not pet-like

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of our ring-neck crosses want to stay around, but when the wise old fox comes around that i cant catch or shoot they seem to disappear for awhile, however i know he doesn't get them all because they come back for a pen visit and some treats and then they go on there way till the next time..

Of course most that escape are around 10 weeks old and so they become accustomed to there surroundings better than a escaped adult.. [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. oldguy

oldguy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks for the info, i too lose birds to foxes but it's the hawks that are my biggest problem. I just like to watch critters about the place running loose.

For years we have had several road runners about. I see as many as 3 at a time. I didn't turn them loose, they just have been here.

6. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Please be very careful about letting non indigenous species loose. Here in Florida we are battling lizards, fish, and invasive plants that people have released into the wild. We are loosing some of our native wildlife as well as spending millions trying to keep nature’s balance as it was.

Doug

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by