any pics/stories of EE Hens that had red combs young?

I know I read one thread on here before and can't find it now of someone that their chick got a very red comb young and turned out to be a hen. Would love to hear any stories or see pics of anyone that had an 8-10 week old EE that had a very red comb but still turned out to be a pullet/hen.......... Need any hope I can get. haahaaa. everyone (well most) have guessed a roo for mine but think because of size and color of comb. No rust on it at all still (only 10 weeks), still young for saddle feathers, tail is still round (but again young), and to me looks like the hackle feathers are still round. But based on comb it is a roo......
I can appreciate your hope! I have a single comb Easter egger who is the sweetest chicken ever. At 5 weeks, the comb is getting more and more pink, the wattle getting bigger and bigger, and my hope getting less and less. I have 4 babies I had to raise myself from a failed mama, and I think all are boys. I also have a successful mama with 7 babies
A791CF1B-717C-41E9-B6E1-A5BA1AEC4B4F.jpeg
and it is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Really hoping for better odds with those ones! Attaching a pic of my easter egger that has all of my hope poured into it. In the future, the only way I will get new chicks is if I have a known to be awesome broody that I can put live, already sexed chicks under because I cannot go through this stuff again!

I can appreciate your hope! I have a single comb Easter egger who is the sweetest chicken ever. At 5 weeks, the comb is getting more and more pink, the wattle getting bigger and bigger, and my hope getting less and less. I have 4 babies I had to raise myself from a failed mama, and I think all are boys. I also have a successful mama with 7 babies View attachment 2723649and it is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Really hoping for better odds with those ones! Attaching a pic of my easter egger that has all of my hope poured into it. In the future, the only way I will get new chicks is if I have a known to be awesome broody that I can put live, already sexed chicks under because I cannot go through this stuff again!
what a cutie this one is! Mine doesn't really have wattles yet but heard that is common in EE with cheeks and beards. I got 10 sexed chicks and am 110% pos one is a cockerel (he was easy to figure out), then this one, and lost one at 9 weeks old so most likely down to 7 pullets. :(

I am already thinking ahead to next year when I get more and trying to figure out if I want to try to maybe hatch a couple eggs (I have a blue cochin cockerel and pullet which has a 25% chance of having a splash cochin which I would LOVE! but then would have to find homes for any boys I hatch......) or if I want to buy some sexed ones again and try to put them under a broody, if anyone is broody, or block off a section of my coop and raise them in there. Either way I will buy some since I ordered buff brahmas and none came in so I want to order those again. So more trying to figure out if I want to attempt to hatch some and where to brood them.

Hope you have lots of females in your other chicks!

I know I read one thread on here before and can't find it now of someone that their chick got a very red comb young and turned out to be a hen. Would love to hear any stories or see pics of anyone that had an 8-10 week old EE that had a very red comb but still turned out to be a pullet/hen.......... Need any hope I can get. haahaaa. everyone (well most) have guessed a roo for mine but think because of size and color of comb. No rust on it at all still (only 10 weeks), still young for saddle feathers, tail is still round (but again young), and to me looks like the hackle feathers are still round. But based on comb it is a roo......
I think this girl was about 10-12 in 1st pic, she look redder in person. 2nd pic is her today

Attachments

• 101DD266-181C-42C9-A5A0-81711B6BAA72.jpeg
    101DD266-181C-42C9-A5A0-81711B6BAA72.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 37E2C586-481D-4952-A243-AC8260AAD825.jpeg
    37E2C586-481D-4952-A243-AC8260AAD825.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 5
I think this girl was about 10-12 in 1st pic, she look redder in person. 2nd pic is her today
awwwwwww she is cute! love the mohawk! I wish I had as good of luck as you did, but mine started to crow. :( oh well just hoping next year I can get one just as pretty that IS a SHE! LOL

awwwwwww she is cute! love the mohawk! I wish I had as good of luck as you did, but mine started to crow. :( oh well just hoping next year I can get one just as pretty that IS a SHE! LOL
Mine isn’t crowing yet at 9 weeks and acts nothing like a rooster but I am trusting that he is and just hoping he works out with two other roosters (highly unlikely!). From now on I will just send in a DNA sample to find out the sex rather than hoping for so long for nothing. The test is only $14. Waiting on results for 2 babies now! 🤞

Lol. I figured but I am trying to hold onto any hope that I can since I love the coloring and can't keep it if it is a Cockerel.
Did you say you heard him crow? I have 3 new EE this year, supposedly all sexed female. 2 are conformed cockerels based on size, color, and comb. I am eagerly waiting to figure out the third, she is much smaller than the 2 cockerels but her comb is pretty pink...but not as red as the cockerels so there is hope.

Mine isn’t crowing yet at 9 weeks and acts nothing like a rooster but I am trusting that he is and just hoping he works out with two other roosters (highly unlikely!). From now on I will just send in a DNA sample to find out the sex rather than hoping for so long for nothing. The test is only $14. Waiting on results for 2 babies now! 🤞
mine was around 11 weeks when he crowed. good luck with your tests. I also got a Cochin Roo in that batch and he showed himself as a roo at around 4 weeks with a HUGE comb, already getting pink and wattles starting..... My EE waited till about 8-9 weeks for the comb to start going pink, and he was the first to crow and most dominant one. My Cochin just started crowing this week (13.5 weeks) and I re-homed my EE last week.

Did you say you heard him crow? I have 3 new EE this year, supposedly all sexed female. 2 are conformed cockerels based on size, color, and comb. I am eagerly waiting to figure out the third, she is much smaller than the 2 cockerels but her comb is pretty pink...but not as red as the cockerels so there is hope.
yes he started crowing around 11 weeks old. How old are yours? I have another EE that I am 99% sure is a she but her comb has recently started going a bit pink but her tail, saddle and hackle feathers are all still rounded and her comb is still tiny. They are 13.5 weeks. her comb just has a hint of pink at times in it. But seems now a lot of my girls are starting to go slightly pink with their combs now. Not sure if weather or age (they aren't close to laying because of the breeds they are. ) so not sure?

yes he started crowing around 11 weeks old. How old are yours? I have another EE that I am 99% sure is a she but her comb has recently started going a bit pink but her tail, saddle and hackle feathers are all still rounded and her comb is still tiny. They are 13.5 weeks. her comb just has a hint of pink at times in it. But seems now a lot of my girls are starting to go slightly pink with their combs now. Not sure if weather or age (they aren't close to laying because of the breeds they are. ) so not sure?
Mine are only 8 weeks. Fingers crossed I get atleast one female!

Back
Top Bottom