Any prep necessary for -18f degree night with wind chill -45?

Glad to read this, I haven't posted in a while and I only have 3 chickens left out of my flock. I don't intend to get more so this upcoming frigid weather (northern Iowa) was concerning me. When I had 11 chickens my 8x10 coop seemed right sized. I hang sheets around the roost and have a radiant heater behind them on the roost wall. Now it seems too large for three chickens in cold weather. I was going to bring my Omlet (that I would use for my broody girls during the summer) into the garage but previous posts have given me the courage to leave the girls outside. They have good ventilation, heated water, and food with late afternoon corn treats. I will check them throughout the day and I can always bring them in if they seem to be struggling with the cold.

Glad to read this, I haven't posted in a while and I only have 3 chickens left out of my flock. I don't intend to get more so this upcoming frigid weather (northern Iowa) was concerning me. When I had 11 chickens my 8x10 coop seemed right sized. I hang sheets around the roost and have a radiant heater behind them on the roost wall. Now it seems too large for three chickens in cold weather. I was going to bring my Omlet (that I would use for my broody girls during the summer) into the garage but previous posts have given me the courage to leave the girls outside. They have good ventilation, heated water, and food with late afternoon corn treats. I will check them throughout the day and I can always bring them in if they seem to be struggling with the cold.
Did the sheets seem to help? I am going to put a curtain over one of the windows in the evening before it gets super chilly. As of right now I have the same plan as you, watch them and check on them frequently and if they seem to be struggling bring them into the garage or even our utility room in the basement.

Great article, thanks. What is the SAC solution you talk about soaking oats in? Seems worth trying. I’ll get some good pics to post.

Thanks for this, I have put down some extra bedding and I am actually going to get more tomorrow, just to be safe. I think I’m gonna try to put up some old feed bags against the coop walls, too, to help insulate a bit. I’ll get some pics of ventilation. I tried to follow the 1 square foot rule per bird when we did our new set up for them, but admittedly I was probably a bit modest with it.
I use feed bags too! I covered up some of my vent holes, except for a 6in.x6in. hole in one upper corner and a 6in.x24in. vent in a corner away from where the hens roost! Following this thread though! We have -12 degrees with forecasted with potential wind gusts up to 60mph, so I'm frantic too!! There are very thin cracks between some of the boards, that I worry about, but I am trying to have faith and take some reassurance in these threads!! Good luck!

I use feed bags too! I covered up some of my vent holes, except for a 6in.x6in. hole in one upper corner and a 6in.x24in. vent in a corner away from where the hens roost! Following this thread though! We have -12 degrees with forecasted with potential wind gusts up to 60mph, so I'm frantic too!! There are very thin cracks between some of the boards, that I worry about, but I am trying to have faith and take some reassurance in these threads!! Good luck!
High winds are a challenge on the daily here, I hate it. It can make a beautiful day awful. Our forecast keeps dipping lower and lower, makes me nervous. I think we’re sitting at -23f overnight Wednesday and -55 with the windchill. Which as others have pointed out, shouldn’t affect the ladies in their coop. But still makes me nervous! Good luck to you, too. I will update everyone on how we do through this!

Starting already! Wind is insane this morning and last night. Pop door is open currently and they’re out n about, but i imagine they’ll be in shortly, and if not I will usher them in once the snow starts flying.

Attachments

• CEF73FB6-01E5-4509-AFC1-FBCAE240AC15.png
    CEF73FB6-01E5-4509-AFC1-FBCAE240AC15.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom