Any problems adding new breeds to an established flock?

caliclucker

Songster
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I have a flock of 12 hens which I believe are red sex linked (I bought them at a feed store). I am raising a buff Orpington roo that will be introduced soon. I want more variety and plan on adding a few EE, marans, and maybe some rocks. I wanted to know if there is any truth to the idea that there will be more fighting if the new hens look a lot different from the established flock. I'm really getting bored seeing nothing but yellowish birds. :rolleyes:

No truth to that at all! Actually, you will find that most people here love great varieties in their flocks and will have every color and pattern available if their coop will hold 'em....
lol.png

I've always had various breeds for my flock because I love the different colors also and I've had absolutely no infighting in my flocks whatsoever....in any of my flocks over the years. All peaceful and harmonious on the range!

If that were true, our flock would be screwed! We've got six chickens and six breeds! Only two of them (barred rock and dominique) look even remotely similar. So no worries on that account. Your bigger concern will just be integrating new birds into an existing flock, whose initial reaction is likely to be something along the lines of "intruder!!!"

Back
Top Bottom