1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any problems adding new breeds to an established flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by caliclucker, Mar 26, 2012.

1. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    I have a flock of 12 hens which I believe are red sex linked (I bought them at a feed store). I am raising a buff Orpington roo that will be introduced soon. I want more variety and plan on adding a few EE, marans, and maybe some rocks. I wanted to know if there is any truth to the idea that there will be more fighting if the new hens look a lot different from the established flock. I'm really getting bored seeing nothing but yellowish birds. :rolleyes:

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No truth to that at all! Actually, you will find that most people here love great varieties in their flocks and will have every color and pattern available if their coop will hold 'em.... [​IMG]

I've always had various breeds for my flock because I love the different colors also and I've had absolutely no infighting in my flocks whatsoever....in any of my flocks over the years. All peaceful and harmonious on the range!

3. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    If that were true, our flock would be screwed! We've got six chickens and six breeds! Only two of them (barred rock and dominique) look even remotely similar. So no worries on that account. Your bigger concern will just be integrating new birds into an existing flock, whose initial reaction is likely to be something along the lines of "intruder!!!"

4. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the answers, I'm looking forward to some variety!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by