Any Problems With Chickens Brooding This Time Of Year?

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
I have a Blue Cochin beginning to brood. She has 5 eggs under her... should I be concerned about it being the wrong time of year for eggs to be hatching? She seems to be really diligent about staying on the eggs so I am not too worried about her being able to hatch them. Any suggestions? This is our first broody hen
big_smile.png

If you are worried about the weather turning cold before they are big enough, momma will keep them warm. I have a broody right now setting on 10 eggs. She is due to hatch September 12th. Where I am there will be no problem. I have someone already lined up for the babies. If she does like last time they will go to there new home around October 15th. By the way mine is an Australorp and this is her 2nd time broody this year.

My bantam ladies (Silkie, Cochin, Silkie cross and Japanese Chabo) are all broody and have been for a few weeks. I finally bought 6 Ameraucana bantam eggs on ebay and am letting the gals sit on them.

I have had 2 small hatches, one in Fall and one in early spring. I put a cardboard box in the dining room and let moms and kids live there until they were ready to go to the coop.

Awesome! Thank you both for the replies! I figured if she was getting broody she knew what she was doing. She is a 3 year hen and we have only had her a little over a year so I am not sure if she has gotten broody before.
It is pretty exciting
big_smile.png
I am hoping for chicks in about 20 days (she has been broody about 2 days now)
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom