Any problems with neighboring flocks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eric in NC, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    I am building a coop and run for spring chicks. The place I want to build it is close to my neighbor's small flock (8 hens 1 roo - Barrred Rocks).

Will having the two flocks close together cause any issues (if I end up with a rooster will they constantly crow at each other?).

I am aware of the possible disease transmission due to the close proximity but am asking about behaviour type problems.

Thanks

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a closed flock, and two properties down a neighbor has free-rangers. Occasionally they wander in, or a local ring neck pheasant named Bluster will dance for my hens. I suspect him of making one broody! But because of the hardware cloth on the run and the topography of our land I can manage all right. I wouldn't have wanted to free-range my birds anyway and his will be gone before winter because of predation. Ahem .

I do treat my perimeters vigorously with food-grade diatomaceous earth to keep lice and mites from these and wild birds out of my run.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How close is close ?? Will they be able to get to each other ??

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i think you would have problems. i have several small flocks, some standards and two different bantam groups. i let them out to free-range when i am there to supervise, but on alternate occasions - big girls one day, little girls the next day. Every single time i have a group out, there are always one or more that go up to the cage of enclosed chickens and pick a fight. Hackles flared, bouncing up and down, acting like fools - and i have all hens. i personally think having two groups housed within eyeshot would be bad for their stress levels.

5. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    They will be about 50 feet apart - both confined so that is as close as they will be able to get - within sight/hearing/smell but no physical interaction or contact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by