Any quilters have suggestions, advice, websites

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok, I barely sew. I am up to a couple curtains and a couple skirts. BUT I paid alot to buy fabric for quilts for my girls that my sister said she would make. She has no time now though. She got a promotion and its out of the question now. So, I am going to make my first quilt. I can pay someone to do the quilting for me if I have to but I want to at least piece it together and put the border and such on.

What I had planned on in super super simple. The fabric is crazy so the quilt itself can be super simple. It was supposed to be sorta a crazy quilt. Hopefully that covers up my inexperience. So 4 even strips pieced together, surrounded by a border. There was ruffle and ribbon going diagonally across the quilt that is sewed down. Hard to explain. So how would you propose going about this? I am looking for the original picture that inspired this. Its all in hot pink, black and white. There are zebra stripes, butterflys and leopard print. Its pretty insane but the fabric I got is filled with detail and very pretty so even a simple quilt will pop.

Advice is welcome.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/8127443...ip_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

This isn't a quilt but I have 3 of these fabrics. The polka dot is the only one different. Its still a polka dot but its black and white. There is also a leopard print. Like I said, there is a lot of pattern to the fabric. My sister said this weekend she will use her rotary cutter and help me cut my pieces out and then all I have to do is the piecing, border, quilt sandwhich, and binding and send it to a neighbor who is very reasonable on the quilting part. Not sure how I have time for this either but I am one determined and cheap momma so it will just have to work.

Last edited:
I quilt A LOT
smile.png
I would suggest something simple like just a block quilt and you can arrange your fabric squares any way you want. You don't need to send it anywhere to get it quilted just do a stitch in the ditch for quilting it, you can do that ont your machine. Also quick fun easy way is to "rag quilt"(google this) it is super simple and quick and cute. And the bonus to rag quilting is you won't need a border or binding!! If you choose just a block quilt method I would suggest since its your first time quilting not to do a binding around the edge just do a border you can fold over to the back. If you choose to do a rag quilt(which is what I would do if I were you) get the rag snipping scissors they can be found at the fabric store. I put a picture of one of the rag quilts I made

I like the fabrics. In fact, I have the polka dot one in my sewing room right now, I am making a scarf out of it with a neighbor kid.

I would recommend doing something simple like a rail fence or a log cabin. With only 4 fabrics though, a log cabin wouldn't work very well.

Here is a rail fence pattern: http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RailFenceBlock.html

It looks complicated, but is really easy.

Will you be able to borrow some of her tools? You will really want a cutting mat, a rotary cutter, and a ruler for cutting the fabric.
And I strongly suggest you pre-wash the fabrics, then iron and starch them. The starch helps keep the fabric straight and makes it easier to cut and sew.

Lol I ended up just doing various width strips that are 72 inches long. Its pretty though. The fabric is interesting enough that my lack of skill is working. I am really very proud of myself though because pieced together now it covers the whole bed and hangs down just past the mattress. Now I have to figure out how to put a border around the whole thing. Then the whole sandwich thing, then the quilting I think and then my sister said she would help me with the binding. Easy peasy lol. Not really.

I am sorta lost now that its mostly pieced. The border is going to be tricky I think. So I am off to you tube looking for videos. Thank God we have the internet. I asked my mom and she suggested we go buy a quilt. So its down to me and the internet.

My sister ended up precutting everything for me. Thank goodness. She teaches quilting so she has all the stuff in her workroom. She just has no time to help me on this one or do it. Ah well, I can safely say its not going to be my new hobby but I think I can pull of a couple quilts for the girls without too much of a breakdown.

Last edited:
sounds like you figured out how to do a bargello quilt! Don't worry, the border doesn't have to be difficult. you can do it whatever size you want, or use multiple borders. A tip my sewing teacher gave me for the back of a quilt is to get enough of the backing fabric so that you can cut two pieces to the length of the quilt, and cut one of these pieces in half lengthwise, and sew the pieces on either side of the remaining backing, in order to not have a seam running down the center of your quilt. and the easiest way to do the binding is to fold the backing around to the front.

http://vrya.net/quilt/classic.php

That link might help you with the estimation of the backing fabric.

By the way, you ought to post pics for us!

=)

If you don't mind a really boring backing, there is extra wide fabric you can buy so you don't have to seam it for backing a quilt. Walmart carries a 108" wide muslim that makes a nice backing. I like to dye it to match the base color of the quilt, but that is kinda a pain since it is such a big piece of fabric.

And a Quilt doesn't HAVE to have a border. Some quilts are quite attractive without, just use a wider binding in a contasting color. My favorite quilt I made, I couldn't find a fabric that I liked for a border, so I used a wide (ended up 1" thick) binding that was striped fabric. When made into binding (cut on the bias), it turned into candy cane striping all the way around the quilt.

For sandwiching it, I like to use the spray adhesive. Especially if you are just going to tie it. Warning, overspray will create a sticky area that collects dirt so don't use this on your living room carpet. And yes, I speak from experience. I do this outside on the wood deck - who cares about the dirty spot out there.

For quilting it, since it is a strip quilt, I would use a high loft batting and tie it. If you use random colors of thread and tie it, it will turn out puffy after washing. Just make sure that you use a knot that doesn't come untied. I was trained to use a surgeons knot, but I have seen the same thing called a double twist square knot.
http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/completing_your_quilt.htm

Good luck!
Can't wait to see pictures!

Nah I think I have the border thing down. Well in theory. Going to attempt it when the kids settle down tonight. I am all for the boring backing lol. I don't even mind the dying. We shall see. I might just take some hot pink or plain old zebra stripe and take 3 pieces and piece those together for a back. Who knows. It really might come down to how much caffeine is in my system. I will try to post a picture soon. I have to get my hubbies help. My computer is acting up and doesn't want to read my card from the camera. My sister saw what I have done though and is all sorts of pleased so I think so far so good. I have been watching tons of you tube videos on doing the borders so I think I am ready for tonight.

Back
Top Bottom