Any Reason Not to Cut Up at Butcher Time?

You really don't cut through it, you expose it and run your fingers along the bone and cartilage then lift it out. Come to think of it this may only work with younger chickens, not old hens etc.
Right. I've tried that, and I have a monster of a time getting it out. I've also tried cutting through, like people say they do, and that doesn't go well either.

One bad thing about this method is I have to put a sheet of freezer paper or plastic in the vacuum bag so the rib bones don.t puncture them. Super fast and easy method

That's why I go with double wrapping in freezer paper. Single wrap and bones poke through. Use plastic bags, either zip-loc or vacuum, and bones can poke through, if not when packaging then when I'm digging through the chest freezer to find something. You've mentioned another good method to prevent that. :thumbsup

For the CX, I use a pair of sharp shears to cut the skin around the neck, then use poultry shears to cut along the spine. I cut the spine right above the tail and then cut the skin around the anus. It's so much easier to remove everything this way, including the lungs. After resting I cut the spine out, remove the wings, separate the breast for the thighs/legs, and cut the breast in half. I leave it all on the bone and bag separately by type. Sometimes I only cut in half and bag a half chicken, if it's on the smaller side. For my extra cockerels from the layer flock, I also cut along the spine and follow the same procedure but I don't cut up for freezing. They don't have enough meat to justify separating them up.

Thanks @lomine - I love all the comments about how to cut up, but my initial question was how to make it easier to eviscerate, as that is the hardest thing for me to do when keeping the chicken whole. I had this happy idea of cutting the chicken up/open before eviscerating, but wasn't sure if it would end up being a bad idea. I STILL haven't gotten around to culling - things keep coming up - but it will be soon.

I did the last of my CX today. This time I decided to try cutting along both sides of the spine to see if it worked. Basically cut the skin around each end and all along the spine. I had to work my fingers along the insides to break the connective tissue. After that everything basically came out in one lump. Was a bit harder to cut both sides of the spine but it eliminated having to try to seperate the pieces from the spine. It’s another option but I don’t know if it’s really easier than just cutting one side. :confused:

I use garden shears like for roses or small stems. They cut thru the rib bones easily. If you aren't wanting to get nice peices like you get from the store, then just cut wherever the cut can be made. You can miss any organs until you get it open enough to scoop out the guts.

I haven't managed to finish culling my last four yet either to try, sorry. I still think cutting each side and splitting wide open should be easiest, rather then just along the spine like spatchcocking. Tonight is going to storm like crazy, maybe I'll do some tomorrow. I will report back when I do.

I had bought chicks specifically for meat. Butchered a few and then DH says let's see how their eggs are (he thinks I work too hard). Now I have more than enough eggs and am thinking about butchering several more--and grandson has his eye on the biggest red ranger we have, wants her for Thanksgiving. 22 weeks old now. We'll have to see. If I do her for that kind of special dinner, then I'll have to pluck and make it nice and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom