Any reason why I should't mix my scratch grains with my layer pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bfcerny, Jul 1, 2010.

1. bfcerny

bfcerny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Just for pure simplicity, I would like to mix scratch and layer pellets to be able to store it all in one bin. I have a "treat tube" PVC pipe set up externally that I can still send them treats and grit etc. down the chute, but I would like to just give them the mix in their feeder and not have to mess with it so often.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They will pick all the "best" goodies out of the feed and not get good, balanced nutrition. Like kids picking out all the marshmallow goodies from Lucky Charms cereals. Not that Lucky Charms is all that nutritious, but you get the drift.

Don't do it.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

x2

Mine always get their layer pellets first then treats. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed, 110%.

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Perfectly said!!

I like to toss the scratch out by hand. They all come running to meet me and I can look them over good while they are happily picking up the grain.

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    if u feed your chickens layers pellets in the morning when u let them out of there coop when would you throw the scratch out in the run during the day?

7. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I mix mine all the time, but I mix 2 parts layer pellet to one part scratch. That way after they eat all of the scratch they have to eat the layer. It works for me and I still get an egg a day per chicken, they sometimes skip a day!

8. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I throw the scratch in down the run before I change the water, so they stay out of my way - and don't get stepped on or bashed by the waterer.
    [​IMG]

9. COOPster

COOPster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Mt. Airy, MD
    One thing I have seen them do when the scratch is mixed in with the feed is throw the pellets or crumbles out of the feeder to get to the scratch also if they are not getting enough calcium becuase they are digging for scratch only you could end up with soft shells. For my girls scratch is a treat not a regular staple. Everytime I come near the coop they are standing by the edge waiting for and following me waiting for a handful.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. They need their layer pellets. They don't need scratch, they just like it. When my girls come running when I go out to the coop, I reach in and grab a handful of their layer pellets out of the feeder and toss it on the ground. They love it every bit as much as if it were scratch. It just tastes better when mixed with dirt than it does in the feeder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by