Any reliable deterrents out there??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by journeysendfarm, Aug 3, 2011.

1. journeysendfarm

journeysendfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Had 48 babies and adult chickens in the coop last night. SOMEONE forgot to shut the little chicken door. 6 alive this a.m. [​IMG] Don't see much wrong with most of the dead bodies laying around the yard this a.m. so am guessing they died from fright. Sigh. Soooo, trying to trap tonight but am wondering about any ultrasonic deterrents out there. Can anyone speak highly of anything other than killing/trapping preditors?? I don't see any posts on any such item. I see McMurry sells one but wondering if anyone has tried it??

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Most mammals will not be deterred by the ultrasonics. Sorry for your loss.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    trapping and dispatching works well not much does once the preds find a food source ( your Birds)

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They have deterrents you can spray around your garden to keep animals out it really doesn't help & I definitely wouldn't trust it to protect my birds from being eaten by a predator. Best thing is a super safe coop. Fort Knox's!! You could use hot wire. Sounds like you need a automatic pop door. I went out to my shed this morning that's where I brood my iddy's I have 30 quail in there & found that the door was not completely shut my heart sunk. I was relieved to find everyone safe & sound. Guess we all make mistakes. I have now made my mind up to lock this door every time I enter lesson learned I hope.

5. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Do you have a predator problem or a remember to shut the door problem? If you shut the door do you still have a problem?
    But to answer your question the best thing I have found is a 22 cal. or 410 shotgun. Dont try to catch and relocate predators,
    because your probably going to relocate him near me, and then I have your problem. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by