Any SE South Dakota peeps here?

farmkat55

Songster
6 Years
May 1, 2016
South Dakota
Just wondering if there are any South Dakotans here? Whenever I check email lists and forums like this one...there never are any peeps from here!! LOL!!

Thanks, Kathy
South Dakota

Last edited:
Yeah...I've been on many forums ad boards, South Dakota is on the least of them! There's not tons of people in the state and we are pretty spread out. But to me, that is all the more reason to use the internet to connect. So, this is the usual for me but I thought I'd try!

Kathy

Hello South Dakota! I am near Sioux Falls. I just got my first chicks in April 2017. I just wanted fresh eggs and meat. I am now a fan. This cold stretch we have had caused a few problems, but my chickens don’t seem as worried about it as I have been for them.
Does anyone close to me raise Cream Legbars. I am looking to buy hatching eggs in a few months.

It’s been kind of crazy lol. Glad to have this warm streak we are experiencing now. Hopefully the worst is behind us :)
Your birds are beautiful and very colorful! What are they?

It’s been kind of crazy lol. Glad to have this warm streak we are experiencing now. Hopefully the worst is behind us :)
Your birds are beautiful and very colorful! What are they?
LOL...well, they aren't chickens and and they aren't mine. That's just a pick of my son in an aviary at Discovery Cove in Florida. I have Barred Rocks, Gold Laced Wyandottes, ISA browns, and Buff Orps.

Looks like he was having fun! Very pretty birds.
How long have you had chickens? Myself not even a year, but I am hooked :) I also have heritage breeds. I am not familiar with ISA browns. Are they dual purpose chickens too?

Looks like he was having fun! Very pretty birds.
How long have you had chickens? Myself not even a year, but I am hooked :) I also have heritage breeds. I am not familiar with ISA browns. Are they dual purpose chickens too?
Just started last April with the Barred Rocks and added from there. I'm hooked too. The ISA browns are egg birds and are a result of one of my BR's going broody. I couldn't break her so I decided to have her hatch out some eggs that I got when I got the Gold Laced Wyandottes...they didn't hatch and she wasn't giving up so I ran to TSC and ended up with 6 of their last batch of chicks which were ISA browns and Buff Orps.

lol them broody hens pull at your heartstrings. My silkie went broody in Nov and the same thing happened, nothing hatched. I was able to get 5 eggs from the gal that sold her to me and 1 of them hatched so she did get her chick. Now they are in my garage until it is warmer out.
I was in TS a couple days ago and they have their chicks in already. Did not dare even look at them! I have 12 hatching eggs and 25 chicks on order. Not sure where I am going to put everything if they arrive before warmer weather gets here. Told my son-in-law I need 1 more coop built. It’s that chicken math everyone on BYC talks about.

Back
Top Bottom