Any sheep experts out there

lexustami

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
St. Clairsville, OH
Hello all,

I tried to find a good sheep owners forum/message board but my searches didn't turn up much.

I have a bottle baby lamb, about 2 weeks old now. My usually very loving lab bit him last night on the head. Now he has an infection, fever and I'm trying to make sure I do everything I can for him. I really don't have the money for a vet right now so I'm just trying to treat him at home.

I've cleaned his wounds, applied topical antibiotic for the puncture wounds and antibiotic eye ointment for his eyes. He only drank a little bit (about 2-3 oz.) during his last feeding. I've given him a baby aspirin hoping to get his fever down. (ranging 105.7-106.1)

I have antibiotics I can inject him with but I'm not sure about the dosing. Can anyone help me out with this so I can get him started on the right meds.

I have on hand: LA-200 and Naxcel.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tami

I would give him some of the LA-200. Weigh him and look at the dosage on the bottle. I'm sure he should only have about 1/2 to 1 cc. It won't kill him to give a little over, but try not too. Make sure to give it intramuscular, best place to do this is in the back of the back leg, in the muscle back there. Don't inject too deep, you don't want to hit bone. He may be sore in that leg the day after, thats ok. Just make sure he keeps eating, thats the most important thing. Good luck

Thanks. Good news. The baby aspirin seems to be working. His fever is gone now and he drank 8oz. during his last feeding.

I just need to keep his infections under control and keep his fever down so he will continue to eat and I think he will be OK.

Take care,

Tami

I would give the lamb the LA-200 for as long as his temperature is elevated. Dog bites are very very bad things for livestock. I would continue to drench the wound with an antiseptic daily (blu-kote or red-kote).

Back
Top Bottom