Any Siberian husky owners?

So I have heard huskies are very good at escaping, what do you do to prevent this when letting them out in to the garden? Supervise? Do have to have 8ft fences?
My first Husky would nearly kill himself getting out. Wasn't until I finally convinced my ex that he HAD to be neutered that he stopped. My current husky has always been content at home. Jest of the story, spay and neuter.

I am looking at maybe getting a husky to do dryland mushing with. But I am not sure they would suite me because we have cats. I see a lot of people with cats and huskies but a lot of places say that they are not good with cats.

I would also like to hear about people’s experiences with huskies and see pictures

I have an 18 month old Husky - Great Pyrenees mix. She has been raised around our 3 indoor cats since she was a little pup.... All 3 of them HATE her although they are absolutely fine with my daughter's shepherd mix. She wants to play with them regardless and chases them every time they come into the living room. My dog wouldn't actually HURT them though. She just wants to play....

However, with chickens, I absolutely cannot trust her around them. She has killed chickens that have accidentally ended up in our fenced backyard. She also chases squirrels with a vengeance so be aware that many Huskies have a strong prey drive.

Screenshot_20210330-160725_Next SMS.jpg

20200725_112830.jpg

I have an 18 month old Husky - Great Pyrenees mix. She has been raised around our 3 indoor cats since she was a little pup.... All 3 of them HATE her although they are absolutely fine with my daughter's shepherd mix. She wants to play with them regardless and chases them every time they come into the living room. My dog wouldn't actually HURT them though. She just wants to play....

However, with chickens, I absolutely cannot trust her around them. She has killed chickens that have accidentally ended up in our fenced backyard. She also chases squirrels with a vengeance so be aware that many Huskies have a strong prey drive.

View attachment 2718221
View attachment 2718223
Thank you! I can handle a strong prey drive as long as its not towards my cats

So I have heard huskies are very good at escaping, what do you do to prevent this when letting them out in to the garden? Supervise? Do have to have 8ft fences?

Our Husky cannot be let off the leash or she would be gone in a NY minute. I was going to invest in one of those wireless fences that work with your dog's collar but a dog trainer told me not to bother because it would never contain her.

Our Husky cannot be let off the leash or she would be gone in a NY minute. I was going to invest in one of those wireless fences that work with your dog's collar but a dog trainer told me not to bother because it would never contain her.
So do you keep her on a leash and take her out for toilet breaks?

Btw: get a Strong vacuum. Java Bean, my current husky, has killed three vacuums with his fur.

Ain't this the truth???? Granted, I live in the Deep South but I cannot believe the incredible MOUNDS of hair that comes off her.... No matter how much I brush her daily, she just keeps shedding and it gets onto and into EVERYTHING.

Like my husband and I have nearly divorced over the dog hair.

Back
Top Bottom