Any Siberian husky owners?

https://iditarod.com/do-many-siberian-huskies-run-the-iditarod-if-not-why/ it does not say they are more energetic but thats what I got from it. The reason why I don’t think alaskan huskies are calmer is because they are bred for mushing and not being a pet, while Siberian huskies are bred for being a pet as well as mushing (at least by some breeders).

But can you find reputable breeders of Eurohounds?

one to two dogs, maybe later more
I don’t think it’s necessarily that they’re more energetic, just that they have more speed and endurance and they’ve also been breeding them for generations to have the traits they want so it’s just easier to keep doing that instead of starting a whole new like of dogs with purebreds.

But it is true that some Siberian Huskies or maybe even most now are bred for show and/or pets and may be calmer now. The Alaskans probably like are somewhat more energetic but I don’t think it would be unmanageable especially if you are planning on mushing with them. They should be fine with mushing or other exercise and training.

But I guess it’s probably like the working lines versus show lines of a lot of breeds especially Labs, Border Collies, GSD, some spaniels, etc. Much different in terms of looks and energy, drive, working ability, etc.

And yeah there should be plenty of reputable breeders or Eurohounds since they’re still breeding them primarily for work and not pets so the puppy mills shouldn’t have gotten a hold of them haha and you can’t have a sick dog working.

And ah okay that makes sense. For just joring or dryland then as opposed to a whole team, a specific mushing breed is not necessarily. And actually, just because a dog is “technically” a mushing breed does not necessarily mean they will be any more willing to work than another dog.

It’s kind of a double edged sword or catch 22 or whatever because on the one hand, you are wanting a somewhat calmer dog and a pet and the show lines are better for that, but on the other hand, you are wanting it for mushing and a lot of the show lines have lost that working ability and some are even downright lazy.

In fact, a young energetic GSP or even Lab might be way more willing to pull and run run run than some of the mushing breeds tbh hahah

But if you really want a mushing breed, I would be sure to talk to plenty of breeders and find one that can both work and mush but also is relatively calm and not off the walls. It might not be an easy search.

Last edited:
Most place's will tell you samoyeds don’t really bark and I never said anything about wanting it to bite, please read my thread before posting
I have read the entire thread. Not sure why you’re accusing me of not and quite honestly being kinda rude. I never even said you wanted a dog to bite either. I guess I could see how it could be interpreted that way but ask what I meant next time instead of just assuming things. I’ve read every post on this thread. But btw I was just saying theoretically you wouldn’t need it to bite. Not that you said you needed it to. You were saying you wanted it to look intimidating too and most burglars won’t even see the dog before moving on. That’s all I meant. I’ll be leaving now. Good luck finding a dog.

Most place's will tell you samoyeds don’t really bark and I never said anything about wanting it to bite, please read my thread before posting
Any dog can be trained to bark, tho, so I think that a samoyed could be a good match.
Most of the places that I read about samoyeds call them excessive barkers, actually, and if you google 'samoyed barking' I see a lot of 'how to get your samoyed to stop barking' and 'how to train samoyed not to bark'.
1623852862303.png

I don’t think it’s necessarily that they’re more energetic, just that they have more speed and endurance and they’ve also been breeding them for generations to have the traits they want so it’s just easier to keep doing that instead of starting a whole new like of dogs with purebreds.

But it is true that some Siberian Huskies or maybe even most now are bred for show and/or pets and may be calmer now. The Alaskans probably like are somewhat more energetic but I don’t think it would be unmanageable especially if you are planning on mushing with them. They should be fine with mushing or other exercise and training.

But I guess it’s probably like the working lines versus show lines of a lot of breeds especially Labs, Border Collies, GSD, some spaniels, etc. Much different in terms of looks and energy, drive, working ability, etc.

And yeah there should be plenty of reputable breeders or Eurohounds since they’re still breeding them primarily for work and not pets so the puppy mills shouldn’t have gotten a hold of them haha and you can’t have a sick dog working.

And ah okay that makes sense. For just joring or dryland then as opposed to a whole team, a specific mushing breed is not necessarily. And actually, just because a dog is “technically” a mushing breed does not necessarily mean they will be any more willing to work than another dog.

It’s kind of a double edged sword or catch 22 or whatever because on the one hand, you are wanting a somewhat calmer dog and a pet and the show lines are better for that, but on the other hand, you are wanting it for mushing and a lot of the show lines have lost that working ability and some are even downright lazy.

In fact, a young energetic GSP or even Alan might be way more willing to pull and run run run than some of the mushing breeds tbh hahah

But if you really want a mushing breed, I would be sure to talk to plenty of breeders and find one that can both work and mush but also is relatively calm and not off the walls. It might not be an easy search.
I don’t mind it being off the walls, the biggest problem is that I can’t find alaskan huskies in the UK.

Yes mushing breeds can still not want to mush but I think they would be more likely to want to then other breeds.

I never said I wanted something calm

whats a alan?

Any dog can be trained to bark, tho, so I think that a samoyed could be a good match.
Most of the places that I read about samoyeds call them excessive barkers, actually, and if you google 'samoyed barking' I see a lot of 'how to get your samoyed to stop barking' and 'how to train samoyed not to bark'.
View attachment 2720889
I read they liked bark at people for things, not things going on like somebody knocking on the door

I read they liked bark at people for things, not things going on like somebody knocking on the door
Yes, but that can be taught. If they like to bark in the first place, you can teach a 'speak' command, then have then 'speak!' multiple times when someone's outside. Eventually it becomes habit.

I have read the entire thread. Not sure why you’re accusing me of not and quite honestly being kinda rude. I never even said you wanted a dog to bite either. I guess I could see how it could be interpreted that way but ask what I meant next time instead of just assuming things. I’ve read every post on this thread. But btw I was just saying theoretically you wouldn’t need it to bite. Not that you said you needed it to. You were saying you wanted it to look intimidating too and most burglars won’t even see the dog before moving on. That’s all I meant. I’ll be leaving now. Good luck finding a dog.
Sorry it was not meant to be rude. What you said to my sound quite firmly that you thought I wanted a dog that bites, I can see now what you meant it. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom