Any suggestion for duck feeder?

yook2000

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
New Haven County
I just started raising ducks in my backyard. I feed them organic feed, but my local store only has mash feed. They don't eat like the way chicken do. My feeder cannot stop them wasting food. I saw quite a lot of feed dropping from their bill.

Dose any one have suggestion how to stop or minimise the wasting from ducks? Thank you.

We have our ducks and geese eating out of a large, rubber, flat-bottomed dish. It's wide enough that they usually drop the extras right back in the bowl. We have a flat, river rock in the middle to keep them from flipping it over and have the bowl slightly elevated on another rock. I think we picked it up at Tractor Supply ( but it could have been our hardware store). We realized quickly the normal chicken feeders didn't work out with the ducks' eating style (AKA messy).

I only feed them at night (so they go out and hunt for pests in my property) but when I feed them mash (mostly the juveniles), I add water to it. This way even the ones that do drop, drop in clumps and they eat that after they finish whatever is in the bowl.

right now I'm re-using margarine containers but I need to switch to something more sturdy. One of my pekin's is a little food hog and will lay inside the bowl while he eats.
unfortunately if you don't catch it in time he knocks it over.
As for water, I have elevated the water so they can no longer turn around and poop in it. Seems to keep it cleaner for longer.

I use a roasting tin but feed them wheat covered over with water, keeps the chickens off it and the ducks sort of vacuum it up.

Back
Top Bottom