Any Taxidermists or Hunters?

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
Hello!
A friend of mine is a taxidermist and he specifically does poultry and waterfowl. I offered to give him some drake skins for taxidermy.
I have five welsh drakes, and of those five, four will be used for meat. But since I'm only used to butchering for meat and plucking the feathers I'm not exactly sure how to go about removing the skin. In what sections would I cut and what is the best way to go about killing so that I don't bloody the feathers too much. Pithing maybe?

Thanks in advance for any answers😁

Hello!
A friend of mine is a taxidermist and he specifically does poultry and waterfowl. I offered to give him some drake skins for taxidermy.
I have five welsh drakes, and of those five, four will be used for meat. But since I'm only used to butchering for meat and plucking the feathers I'm not exactly sure how to go about removing the skin. In what sections would I cut and what is the best way to go about killing so that I don't bloody the feathers too much. Pithing maybe?

Thanks in advance for any answers😁
Hey! Here is a time lapse video of how I skin my birds. You can skip the head removal.
Just cut at the base of the neck between its shoulders. Once you have access to the neck. It will be at the very end once you have cut the wing joints. With the wings and legs cut at the joints. No need to remove the meat or legs it can be complicated. The best way to kill it would be to inject him with rubbing alcohol in the back of the head. You put the needle in right where the spine connects to the skull. There is a small soft spot. Then inject 1-2ml of alcohol.

A friend of mine is a taxidermist and he specifically does poultry and waterfowl... I'm not exactly sure how to go about removing the skin. In what sections would I cut...
Have you asked your friend the taxidermist? If he is the one that will be putting it back together, he might have specific preferences about how you take it apart.

Have you asked your friend the taxidermist? If he is the one that will be putting it back together, he might have specific preferences about how you take it apart.
I would, except he doesn't kill anything he stuffs🤷🏻‍♀️
And I don't have his number😂

Hey! Here is a time lapse video of how I skin my birds. You can skip the head removal.
Just cut at the base of the neck between its shoulders. Once you have access to the neck. It will be at the very end once you have cut the wing joints. With the wings and legs cut at the joints. No need to remove the meat or legs it can be complicated. The best way to kill it would be to inject him with rubbing alcohol in the back of the head. You put the needle in right where the spine connects to the skull. There is a small soft spot. Then inject 1-2ml of alcohol.

Thank you!!!
Much simpler than I thought it would be😅🙏

I would, except he doesn't kill anything he stuffs🤷🏻‍♀️
And I don't have his number😂
Not having his number is a problem.

But even if he doesn't kill animals himself, he knows how the skins usually reach him. He might prefer it cut along the ___ (belly, side, back), and he might have a preference about how much wing/head/foot is still inside the skin when he gets it.

Not having his number is a problem.

But even if he doesn't kill animals himself, he knows how the skins usually reach him. He might prefer it cut along the ___ (belly, side, back), and he might have a preference about how much wing/head/foot is still inside the skin when he gets it.
Yes you're right🤔
I'll see if he has any preferences. It'll be a little while before the drakes are ready anyways.

Back
Top Bottom