Any teens on BYC?? Teen talk thread. (Older/younger ppl also welcome!) Lets talk self sufficiency. :)

Alright y'all.... I'm starting another "chicken garden" soon. My 1st chicken garden has tomatoes, watermelon, all types of greens and cucumber! Anybody know of some things I can grow that the chickens (and other birds) will love? I started my whole garden basically from fruits/veggies bought from Walmart. I did that as a challenge for myself just to see how many things you can grow from storebought fruits/veggies. :) it worked out great!

From what I seen, chickens are not very picky, just point and say NO !!
Walk away and 3 minutes later they will be eating it.
They love clover, chickweed, and other things we'd consider weeds in our gardens too, so depending on whether you want to eat from it as well or not, have at it. Plant human stuff and share with the girls would be a good idea IMO.

Aaron

Turtles are good eating, just a booger to clean, nothing wrong with them at all !!

Nothing tastier than turning a turtle into a turdle

Aaron

No...no...NOOO no turtle for me 😂 I had a traumatic experience with a soft shell turtle when I was younger and refuse to eat the darn things.... I don't want to eat something that has its head totally missing and starts walking around. I know it's reflexes but this thing KNEW WHERE IT WAS GOING! 😂 it turned around and walked 50 FEET back to the pond it came from with NO HEAD. he swam underwater. Reflexes? Maybe but I don't care to find out. 😂😂

I'll butcher chickens, Turkey, rabbit, deer, pigs but no turtles. 😂

From what I seen, chickens are not very picky, just point and say NO !!
Walk away and 3 minutes later they will be eating it.
They love clover, chickweed, and other things we'd consider weeds in our gardens too, so depending on whether you want to eat from it as well or not, have at it. Plant human stuff and share with the girls would be a good idea IMO.

Aaron

I didn't say they got the whole garden to themselves... 😂 I take all of the prettiest veggies and stuff and they get all the rest. The stuff we can't eat goes to my birds and dogs.

This is the only pic I have atm of the "chicken garden" this is where we have peas and beans planted. There are also tomatoes planted on the side but you can't see them. All this stuff was started from storebought veggies. :) my birds LOVE it. I am also experimenting with growing stuff hydroponically. I have tomato plants growing upside down in hanging buckets with holes in the bottom. I love trying new stuff! We also have tilapia in our pond so I'm going to try using some tilapia fry in my new hydroponic setup I'm working on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-141400_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-141400_Snapchat.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 1
Be careful, the tilapia will eat the roots right off your plants, and the young can get into the settling areas pretty easy if you don't have them properly isolated. Otherwise a good mix, they feed each other and fresh fish is always a good dish.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom