Any thoughts on breed?

cricketmt

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Montana
These guys are 6 weeks old now, the eggs were donated to the school and my daughter hatched them as a class project.

This is Benny, she looked like a chipmunk when she hatched. She now has tufts of feathers coming out of the sides of her head...she wouldn't stay still for me last night. I'm almost thinking Easter Egger?

This is Urie. Not sure of sex on this one. Behavior-wise, he acts more like a hen, so if he's a rooster, he's going to pretty mellow. The Bantam roosters that are 2 weeks older are MEAN compared to Urie. His legs are black, and this picture highlights the copper streaking of the feathers on his breast.

And this is Lucy. She's a beautiful buff color, very sweet temperament, loves to be held. I THINK she might be a Buff Orpington?

Benny: probably an Easter Egger
Urie: Mixed breed, definitely a cockerel
Lucy: probably a Buff Orpington, pullet

Thanks! So far Urie isn't showing any signs of cockerel behavior...he's much friendlier than the bantie roosters were. He likes to be picked up and held even. Maybe we'll be able to keep him.

Are there no-nos in keeping a full size roo, with bantam hens? We don't plan to hatch eggs...

Benny: probably an Easter Egger
Urie: Mixed breed, definitely a cockerel
Lucy: probably a Buff Orpington, pullet
I agree with these guesses.

I've never kept a full-size rooster with bantam hens, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. If he tried to breed the smaller bantams, he may end up squashing them.

We had both when I was a kid, I just don't remember any problems, but you're probably right. I'll be sad to give Urie away...he was SUCH an ugly baby when he first hatched....

Okay, so now, based on one of my spouse's co-workers thoughts, we're pretty sure Urie is a Black Start (Black Sex Link) and a female....guess time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom