Any thoughts on incubation day? Story in comments

thronesandroses

Chirping
Aug 12, 2021
Our hen went broody in the winter and we meant to break her but we’ve been very busy buying a home and it slipped our minds, we also left the eggs under her for awhile. Most did not develop, there is only 1 viable egg. Any thoughts on how far along it is and if it looks healthy? We think it may be day 6 or 7. Are there any concerns with hatching only one egg?

The egg looks healthy - if the chick is moving like it is normally it is healthy and doing well. It looks like it could be on Day 14 - 16.
If you don't mind my asking - What are you planning to do with the baby??? Leave it with mom??

The egg looks healthy - if the chick is moving like it is normally it is healthy and doing well. It looks like it could be on Day 14 - 16.
If you don't mind my asking - What are you planning to do with the baby??? Leave it with mom??
thank you!! yes, we plan to bring in egg/mom to our bathroom because it’s too cold out but we will leave the chick with mom. she’s been a chick mother before and she’s a great mom. i may slip a couple day one chicks under too though when it hatches so it has a couple friends.

thank you!! yes, we plan to bring in egg/mom to our bathroom because it’s too cold out but we will leave the chick with mom. she’s been a chick mother before and she’s a great mom. i may slip a couple day one chicks under too though when it hatches so it has a couple friends.
Like get some from Tractor Supply. That's a great idea!!
One thing that I would recommend when integrating the store bought chicks with mom is to do it in the middle of the night really quietly - not to disturb her. Also if you have fake eggs put them under her so that she thinks they just hatched.

Back
Top Bottom