Any thoughts? Pullet or cockerel

Tmcfarland

Songster
May 5, 2022
My chicks are coming up on 5 ish weeks. All bought at TSC as pullets. All the rest I’m almost certain are pullets but this one here has me questioning if maybe it was miss sexed. The comb appears bigger than the rest. I know it’s too young to really tell, just curious to see others thoughts. Hoping this one’s a pullet as well but fine if not. I’m probably just being retarded & thinking I see something that’s not there.

Attachments

• 36C000C2-6A94-49C9-B355-A135BEB1FF18.jpeg
    36C000C2-6A94-49C9-B355-A135BEB1FF18.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 9E2E6D00-1CD6-435A-AEB2-DC440A57CC14.jpeg
    9E2E6D00-1CD6-435A-AEB2-DC440A57CC14.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 795AEA3F-084A-4EB2-9F36-F76DD2290524.jpeg
    795AEA3F-084A-4EB2-9F36-F76DD2290524.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 6
  • E2ABEC3B-FE8F-46F1-953E-F61542C1CB2D.jpeg
    E2ABEC3B-FE8F-46F1-953E-F61542C1CB2D.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 7
Sexing at the hatchery is only about 90% accurate, so if you get 10 chicks, 1 will typically be a boy (if your luck holds out).

And...the best way to sex is to compare similar chicks of the same breed at the same age...you will notice the differences in the cockerels to the pullets easily as time draws on.

That really looks like a cockerel. That much comb and pinkness at 5 weeks is pretty indicative. The only time I've been fooled is occasionally with a Barred Rock precocious pullet who gained her comb early, but still not like the cockerels did. I had a Marans girl do that do, but again nothing like the cockerels in the batch.

So my impression, very likely roo.

What breed did they say?

Sexing at the hatchery is only about 90% accurate, so if you get 10 chicks, 1 will typically be a boy (if your luck holds out).

And...the best way to sex is to compare similar chicks of the same breed at the same age...you will notice the differences in the cockerels to the pullets easily as time draws on.

That really looks like a cockerel. That much comb and pinkness at 5 weeks is pretty indicative. The only time I've been fooled is occasionally with a Barred Rock precocious pullet who gained her comb early, but still not like the cockerels did. I had a Marans girl do that do, but again nothing like the cockerels in the batch.

So my impression, very likely roo.

What breed did they say?
They said either sapphire gem or blue Plymouth Rock. From things I’ve read, they are pretty much the same. ???🤷‍♀️ First time I’ve had anything other than RIR chicks so I’m kind of dumb to other breeds.

Sapphire gem is a blue rock bred to a barred rock to get sex linked chicks (white head dot on male, plain head on females with gold lacing on neck). You should have known immediately if there were males in the group.

Blue rock would not be sex linked as all chicks would be blue.

You might get lucky and this is a precocious girl, but I think you've got a boy.

LofMc

Sapphire gem is a blue rock bred to a barred rock to get sex linked chicks (white head dot on male, plain head on females with gold lacing on neck). You should have known immediately if there were males in the group.

You might get lucky and this is a precocious girl, but I think you've got a boy.

LofMc
None of them had spots on their heads. I probably sound dumb as to not knowing about the chicks I bought but RIR has been all we’ve ever had. I’m hoping this is a pullet and just growing at a faster rate. I guess we wait a few more weeks and see but the more I’ve watched them I’m thinking roo also. I HATE waiting! Lol

LofMc
Those are definitely pullets. Males would have had head spots and would now show barring in their plumage.

Blue Rocks are quite rare.
None of them had spots on their heads so I’m hoping Paisley is in fact a pullet. Waiting is the worst part!

Back
Top Bottom