Any tips for a first timer?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aub, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I just got my girls today. Do you have any tips for a first time Chicken Mommy?

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

How many chicks do you have and also the breeds?

Make sure they have a warm place around 90-95 degrees and plenty of food and water! I would use pine shavings for bedding and a red heat lamp bulb. Chicks are a blast!

Nate

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Don't forget to enjoy the new babies!!![​IMG]

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Pine shavings get in the water and then act like a sponge so I put a plastic square under the waterer (that way I don't have to worry that they are dehydrated if I'm asleep or gone from the house.

5. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    If you use the pelletized wood horse bedding, it doesn't get in the water. I put paper towels over it for the first two or three days and then remove them. By this time they know where the food and water is and it is so much easier. Stir it up every couple of days so the finer particles that have gotten wet sink to the bottom and the dry big pellets are on top. The heat lamp helps keep it all pretty dry. Enjoy!

6. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    My tip for you is to go bigger than you think you need. Don't go too small cause you'll be kicking yourself in the butt next year like I am doing this year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by