Any tips on getting a duck to like you?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
Whiskey doesn’t like me very much, which is understandable. I didn’t raise her, but she does calm down n sit in my lap when I let her. Which is a good start!
anyone know how to tame her? I handled my two drakes a lot as babies bc they started to become wild. So maybe I should just repeat that

wow. She comes do you and sit in your lap? That sounds pretty tame to me.
If you want her to like you even more have a handful of peas.
May I ask you if you still have the two drakes and only one female?

wow. She comes do you and sit in your lap? That sounds pretty tame to me.
If you want her to like you even more have a handful of peas.
May I ask you if you still have the two drakes and only one female?
I still do, and yeah it’s not 24/7, but shes still getting use to me having my hand around her. If I raise it above her head, she flinches so she’s still skittish but right now she let me pet her

It takes time to built trust especially after one has been dumped or is use to living with other ducks and then they are introduced to a whole new place with ducks they have never met.
I can relate sort of, I was looking on craigslist a few weeks ago and say a Buff duck that needed a new home, it's flock had been killed by dogs and she was the only one left. I have 2 Buffs so decided to take her in. She has settled in real well with the flock but still does not trust me. So this is something I'm working on just handing out treats and pretty much not pushing myself on her. But Most my ducks have been with me since they hatched and not all of them will come eat out of my hand so it's the temperament of the duck and probably the breed too. If she'll sit in your lap I'd say she has come a long way.

It takes time to built trust especially after one has been dumped or is use to living with other ducks and then they are introduced to a whole new place with ducks they have never met.
I can relate sort of, I was looking on craigslist a few weeks ago and say a Buff duck that needed a new home, it's flock had been killed by dogs and she was the only one left. I have 2 Buffs so decided to take her in. She has settled in real well with the flock but still does not trust me. So this is something I'm working on just handing out treats and pretty much not pushing myself on her. But Most my ducks have been with me since they hatched and not all of them will come eat out of my hand so it's the temperament of the duck and probably the breed too. If she'll sit in your lap I'd say she has come a long way.
Thank you, I wish you luck with your duck as well. Buffs are beautiful.
I’m thinking of trying to do a full bonding month. Where it’s just me and her bonding for a few hours or so everyday, all month.
never did it before for this exact reason(I usually just bond with my ducks bc they’re already bonded with me), but I’m willing to try

if she will be living with 2 drake and no other female ducks there is a risk of her being injured or killed by aggressive over mating. please keep an eye out for that and if possible get more females. the suggested ratio for drake to duckhen is 1 drake to at least 3 hens

if she will be living with 2 drake and no other female ducks there is a risk of her being injured or killed by aggressive over mating. please keep an eye out for that and if possible get more females. the suggested ratio for drake to duckhen is 1 drake to at least 3 hens
I am, dont worry
both are my drakes aren’t really interested in her but my pekin mix has tried to mate with her a few times

Thank you its alot easier when we do the brooding and raise them from tiny littles. I have 2 Runners that i can pick up and cuddle and they haven't any problem with it they were brooded by me ,All the rest but my Muscovy drake were raised by their mamas. Big difference. My Muscovy drake has always been my big baby and he is now 12 yrs old

Keep us updated on ho0w it goes.

Back
Top Bottom