1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any tips on how to have her acustomed to roam around freely ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by papileo, Oct 25, 2014.

1. papileo

papileo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Los Angeles, California
    [​IMG] Ive had her for some time outside and i have her leg tied (not tight) of course, and I was wondering how i can get her to roam freely and around me without getting scared [​IMG][​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As stated in your other post - treats and time. Remember that chickens are a prey species and are reluctant to trust that which they do not know.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I replied to your other post. [​IMG] She sure is cute!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good answers and suggestions on taming your girl, it will just take time and patience and treats.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Yes, all you can really do are interact with her each day, give her treats, and give her time. Eventually, she should warm up to you.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you only have this one hen.? Being white she is like a neon sign inviting predators. She will be the first one to go if she free ranges. Also tying up her leg means she can't even try to fly or hide from predator attack.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Drumstick Diva X2 You shouldn't be keeping her tied up like this. She will be taken by some predator quick if she can't escape. Just work with her with treats and love. It takes time. But keep her in a run if she is an only bird, or go sit with her outside so she doesn't wander off. Then when you are done sitting with her, put her back in the run. You also might try one of these Peck and Play enclosures. They are made of nylon, they fold up nicely and are about 3x6 foot in size. You can keep her in one of these without predators getting to her.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Cute bird! Give her time. She will get used to it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by