Any way to sex guinea keets? Can males be kept together?

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I got 6 guineas from a straight run, and have no clue how to sex them and neither did the hatcher. They are 2 weeks old now.

If I do happen to have more than one male (or all males, who knows), will they be able to stay together orrrrr...?

So I got 6 guineas from a straight run, and have no clue how to sex them and neither did the hatcher. They are 2 weeks old now.

If I do happen to have more than one male (or all males, who knows), will they be able to stay together orrrrr...?
You might be able to start sexing them from their vocalizations starting at about 6 weeks old. By the time they are 4 months old you will have better luck sexing them. Other than a couple of never proven claims, I am not aware of any method sexing keets at early ages.

If they all turn out to be males, they will just form a bachelor group. The preferred ratio of males to females is 1:1.

GUINEAS, in my experience, deal well with multiple males.
You sex guineas by sound, I just bought 6 straight run from my feed store, 1 week old, and you can already hear two different sounds.

It's hard to explain what sounds belongs to what gender, but they are good no matter what.

I have personally raised 3, then 6, then 6, then 6, and they always figure out their own flock dynamics without damaging other guineas.

Our first 3 were raised 100% with our first chickens, and they caused the biggest problems.
Bloody fights with roosters, had to be housed separate after all the chickens were scared of the big bad guineas after a month or two.
The second set of 6 didn't make it 1 month. All killed 2 ft in front of porch in a dog kennel, while dad went to church on Sunday morning. (HE NEVER went usually, so insult to injury...)

I moved the flock to my home, April 2019 with only 1 pair remaining, and the hen was killed when she went broody and was nesting outside our fence. Then we had the male up until a few weeks ago.
They are SO dumb, so loud, but totally worth it.

GUINEAS, in my experience, deal well with multiple males.
You sex guineas by sound, I just bought 6 straight run from my feed store, 1 week old, and you can already hear two different sounds.

It's hard to explain what sounds belongs to what gender, but they are good no matter what.

I have personally raised 3, then 6, then 6, then 6, and they always figure out their own flock dynamics without damaging other guineas.

Our first 3 were raised 100% with our first chickens, and they caused the biggest problems.
Bloody fights with roosters, had to be housed separate after all the chickens were scared of the big bad guineas after a month or two.
The second set of 6 didn't make it 1 month. All killed 2 ft in front of porch in a dog kennel, while dad went to church on Sunday morning. (HE NEVER went usually, so insult to injury...)

I moved the flock to my home, April 2019 with only 1 pair remaining, and the hen was killed when she went broody and was nesting outside our fence. Then we had the male up until a few weeks ago.
They are SO dumb, so loud, but totally worth it.
They have DEFINITLEY proven the dumb part lol. Once, one of them was just pitching the BIGGEST fit, i thought something had gotten into the brooder! I went to check, and the situation I saw was just sad. 5 of the guineas were minding their own business together, and when I found the one pitching a fit, it was facing a corner. It was looking to the left and right and only saw walls and was freaking out because it couldn't see its flock! It was not stuck in any way, just the thought to back up did not occur! I picked it up, turned it around, and set it back down, and suddenly its whole life was better lol. It stopped yelling and ran to its buddies.

As for the sounds, theyre always so loud that their voices melt together into one loud and off key chorus! Should I try picking them up individually and hearing them complain?

I'm sorry about what happened to one of your flocks. My first batch of chickens was disastrous too. I had 7 RIRs, 6 ended up being roosters with 5 of them going to the stew pot. Then my remaining hen was a tiny game hen who kept digging out under the wire, and one day didn't come back. I got 3 black sexlinks for my roo but they all just started disappearing until I had one hen and a roo. I got gifted another fancy roo and not even a week later, all three of the chickens were gone leaving me at 0. Luckily this batch of 24 has survived entirely

Back
Top Bottom