Any way to stop a LIVE rooster from crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigdog, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I know this sounds rediculous but I need to find a way to keep my rooster from crowing and would appreciate any ideas. I teach at a middle school with a totally enclosed courtyard. We have 3 hens and 1 rooster. I am trying to have the kids raise and collect their "own" eggs to hatch from "our" chickens but cannot have a rooster that crows.

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    tape his beak?
    lol i dont know if there is a way =[
    but you may be able to take him away for a week or two because the hens will be fertile for that long.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Make it dinner?!

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    There is no way to stop a rooster from crowing. You can keep in the dark to simulate night, but if he can see any daylight, he will crow.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Have you tried hanging heads of lettuce and other things to help keep him busy? The constant activity in a school is sure to set him off repeatedly. I wish you the best outcome with this school experiment. The kids will never forget it.

6. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Thank you all - i enjoyed the responses. I may just have to bring him in for conjugal visits weekends.

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    You will be a very wealthy person if you figure that one out!!

8. Angerbat

Angerbat New Egg

Mar 5, 2008
    I read that roosters stretch to crow so if you place him in a pen or cage with a short roof he won't be able to stretch and therefore crow.

Good Luck, my rooster crows 24-7 he use to be hoarse but at about a year old now he is really starting to crow. He crows at any hint of light or sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by