Anybody Care to Weigh In?

Tango Charlie

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
So, I bought what were labeled as 4 "Black Sex Links" and 4 "Buff Orpingtons" back in March. Since July they've been really consistent layers (7 of them, anyway) as we routinely get 7 brown eggs a day. They nearly all started laying at about 14/15 weeks. I was afraid my little "Black Sex Links" were going to be roosters, as when I purchased them they DID have white spots on their heads, and they ended up growing out with a barred pattern. Me thinks they're actually Barred Rock hens? (All 4 confirmed layers.)

The presumed "Buff Orpingtons" started laying earlier than expected (at 14/15 weeks), and they're not as fluffy as I'd imagined. They also have yellow legs and feet. I think they may actually be Red Sex Links?

I've posted four pics below.
The closeup is Lazy Susan. Because she has a lazy eye. (Get it?)
The mostly red one we call Pepper and is the only one we've never witnessed lay. Also the only one that will not let you pick her up.
The black one is Boss Lady. (Because she's the boss, and I'm terribly creative.)
The random side view of the Buff'ish bird was added to help identify 'em.

p.s.
Lazy Susan is my absolute favorite. She seems to march to the beat of her own drum, and loves people! She and Pepper seem to be best buddies, which explains why I gave her a name. (Gotta do something pretty special around here to get a name...)

Attachments

• Boss Lady.jpg
    Boss Lady.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • Lazy Susan.jpg
    Lazy Susan.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Pepper.jpg
    Pepper.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Random.jpg
    Random.jpg