Anybody Else Have A Hen That Crows?

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

One of my Crele Old English Game Bantams, Chess, recently came back from my neighbor’s house with two chicks. I’d had her back for a couple days when yesterday I saw her crow! She did it several times too! I was even able to get a video, though I don’t think you can post those on here… I knew and had heard that hens will occasionally crow like a rooster, but I thought that usually it happens when there aren’t enough males in the flock? I’ve never seen a hen crow, so this was very new and pretty crazy to see!

I started this thread to ask why she would be doing this, and to see if anyone else has ever had a hen that crowed? I’d love to hear about some experiences and any knowledge people might have on the subject! :)

I actually have 2 hens that have done this before and it really freaked me out lol. But mine is also an Old English Game bantam hen and the other is a blue splash Maran. One I think did it because she was lonely and isolated(she was sick and in the house) and I don't know why my bantam did it.

Hello!

One of my Crele Old English Game Bantams, Chess, recently came back from my neighbor’s house with two chicks. I’d had her back for a couple days when yesterday I saw her crow! She did it several times too! I was even able to get a video, though I don’t think you can post those on here… I knew and had heard that hens will occasionally crow like a rooster, but I thought that usually it happens when there aren’t enough males in the flock? I’ve never seen a hen crow, so this was very new and pretty crazy to see!

I started this thread to ask why she would be doing this, and to see if anyone else has ever had a hen that crowed? I’d love to hear about some experiences and any knowledge people might have on the subject! :)
Yes I have. Haha. My salmon faverole, Silver has been caught crowing 6 times in a row.
She is has a big comb and big beard but I know she’s not a rooster because they look much different than her. She must think she is the head honcho!

Hello!

My sister also has chickens ( I am on year two of having chickens, I have 2 one year old hens, a matching rooster and 11 offspring I incubated.) My sis helps me with the endless questions while I'm learning and swears she has at least one hen who has crowed a few times, but doesn't now. My 5 3 month old roosters are just this week starting pretty ragged crowing, but they seem to be running after the little hens already. Isn't it a little early? The Robinator

Hello!

My sister also has chickens ( I am on year two of having chickens, I have 2 one year old hens, a matching rooster and 11 offspring I incubated.) My sis helps me with the endless questions while I'm learning and swears she has at least one hen who has crowed a few times, but doesn't now. My 5 3 month old roosters are just this week starting pretty ragged crowing, but they seem to be running after the little hens already. Isn't it a little early? The Robinator

Geez, I'm bad at math. They were born Nov 28, so they're dang near 4 months old. 16 weeks old. Okay, so they're roosters now. The mother hen is about 10 months old and just started walking like a zombie and not feeling good. Time for Epsom baths and calcium. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom