Anybody else have Dark Brahma hens?

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
I know a lot of breeds are said to be friendly, calm, etc. But I was just out with the chickies and I think I have a new group of buddies. I have some buff orpies and other "friendly" breeds. However the new group of 4 Dark Brahma's I got this spring are so nice! They're 11 weeks old yesterday. I pick up some of the others breeds I got in the order and they're still kind of freaked out. The Brahma's.... couldn't care less!
love.gif
They just kind of snuggle into your chest and let you pet them. I set one down and rather that running for the hills like the other breeds do, she ran back over and stood at my feet waiting to be picked up again!!! They just seem so above everything else that consumes the other birds time. A really nice breed.

I have a (very) mixed flock--and my hands-down, no-contest favorite chicken is a Light Brahma hen. She likes me to hold her and scratch her neck. She snuggles into my arms and shuts her eyes. She is plump and nice to hold, and her feathers are very soft and beautiful.

I told myself I wasn't going to name any of the chickens, but she does have kind of a name. I call her "Uh-oh chicken" because she makes hilarious noises that sound like "uh-oohhhh" when she snuggles in. "Uh-oohhhh...." she says when she's settled in my arms, and I say "Uh-oohhhh" back in my best chicken voice, and she says it again, and I say it again....We're communicating! LOL

I was going to put a picture of her, but I'm new to this and I don't know how--I'll figure it out soon. She's on my blog, in the only post tagged "Brahmas." I don't explain on there how she's Uh-Oh Chicken, but that's her.

I don't have one yet, but I hope to in two weeks! I have been looking high and low to find dark brahma eggs. Finally found some on ebay. Auction was for 10+ and he sent an even dozen. Looks like "a lot" are developing. I am hoping six or eight hatch... cross your fingers for me and sprinkle lots of hatching dust in the air for me! I will let you know how my hatch goes. I have them in with some BBS silkie eggs. They went in on the 13th.

I love the Brahmas. I have three darks, one little roo and two pullets. I also have four buffs and a whole lot of lights. While they don't all jump in my lap, I do have my favorites who come over for a quick pet and to say hi (and to check and see if I'm handing out raisins). They seem to be the friendliest of my flock, except for one 4-week-old Jersey giant who likes to snuggle in my lap and/or ride on my shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom