Anybody else run a rescue farm ?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Farmergreen, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Went to the P.O. this morning and found a simi frozen Chickadee bundled it up in my glove and took it home
    It is now in my Zebra Finch cage with 2 male Finches.
    It Found the water so maybe it will discover the feed soon.
    Plan on letting it go first warm spell we have. But you know how some of us are.
    Anybody got any experience with wild chickadees?

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    This website deals with rescued wild birds... http://www.starlingtalk.net/phpBB2/login.php?redirect=login.php

But
    IMO if it's eating and is friendly with your finches I say keep him. He'll live much longer in captivity without predators and the weather. However it was bad judgment putting him in with your finches because he can give them wild bird diseases.

3. Farmergreen

Oct 22, 2010
    Yeh he was fine this morning so I let him go. Didn't seem to keen to being in the cage.

4. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Poor thing. Glad he was okay.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend not mixing a wild bird with your pet birds...you never know. Especially since he was not well when you found him. They can carry a whole slew of diseases that you don't want to share with any of your pets, many of which can be fatal.

But, I'm glad he perked up and made it back out safely! :0)

5. Farmergreen

Oct 22, 2010
    Well it was about 15 degrees outside and I put him in the first place I thought of. I knew I should isolate him but I was suffering from brain freeze LOL.
    I give my finches special ordered feed and keep things pretty clean so maybe I'll miss a tragady. I think He was just really cold. we had a nite of freezing drizzle.

Thanks for the concern I'll try to remember next time.

6. msdoolittle

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm glad he came out okay, though. We have a lot of Chickadees around. Very funny little guys.

7. msdoolittle

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm glad he came out okay, though. We have a lot of Chickadees around. Very funny little guys.

8. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I would treat them all for lice and mites. Wild birds almost always carry them...maybe also cocci as well...
    never mix wild birds/animals with your inside cage birds. They dont have the same immunity!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's so nice that you took it in. It takes a special person to be the selfless.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by