Anybody ever go to the Rhode Island Red monument in Rhode Island?

ChickyLaura

The Crazy Chicken Lady
11 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Eastern/Central PA
So I was surfing the web the other night and found out that the Rhode Island Red chicken has a monument in Adamsville, Rhode Island. It's pretty close to the ocean... Guess where we're planning on going for vacation?!? Block Island, here we come! I'm sure we'll plan some time to visit the monument, too!

Nope, never. But since you mentioned it, I would like to go and see the momument. If you indeed go please take pics
big_smile.png

Sibone

Definitely! I never knew that there was so much to do in that area of the US. I already got the chicken and dog sitter lined up. We'll be going later in the summer, can't wait!

Haha, I just read your signature thread! I better post quickly!

The RIR has an interesting history. I wonder if there are any other chicken monuments?!

I have 2 SQ banty RIR hens and 2 not-at-all SQ TSC RIR/production reds - but the TSC birds are top notch egg layers. I have other chickens, but my RIRs are the best egg layers! I don't have any RIR roos, though. The 2 banties are my "yard birds". They are like little dogs!

Yep, it does have a funny history. Depending on which interpretation of their history you read, some will say they are from Massachusetts, and some from RI. A long story involved with that. The only RIR monument I know of is in Adamsville, RI. I'm not sure about Massachusetts, but it's possible. If you go to RI, I also suggest visiting Iggy's for some clamcakes, and doughboys. Our state drink is coffee milk. Anything else you might be interested in seeing let me know
smile.png
I'll actually be there in July for a wedding.

Bluemoon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom