Anybody ever use a SweeterHeater?

suburbanhomesteader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Southern Dallas County, TX
In the middle of deciding that my girls probably didn't need supplemental heat here in Dallas, I discovered the neighbor's dog is exceedingly pregnant. She lives a life of somewhat benign neglect, and I got permission from him to make a temp dog house for her before she has her pups. I had been investigating panel heaters, and my copy of Backyard Poultry had an ad for Sweeter Heaters. I talked to the owner and he said a lot of dog breeders use them. He also mentioned that they are far superior to the panel heaters you see advertised in other places.

Anyone ever get one? I told him I was going to buy one and review it for us here, but thought I would check with others, first.

Never head of it......sorry!
sad.png

We have these in the reptile tanks at my workplace, and they work as well as the information page of their website. I have been considering one for my coop as well. The ones we have are mounted on the ceiling of large enclosures and keep the whole tank warm but never so hot that they are a problem for the animals. I don't know if it is the specific SweeterHeater brand or another one though. They are plain white without any logo.

Chelsie

I agree with Elmo, you are to be commended for looking after someone else's pregnant dog. Of course you will be rewarded when you have lots of puppies to play with!

Mary

I went to their website to check them out. I wish I could find power consumption info., but couldn't... They do appear safe. I'd like to know whether they put out any more warmth/heat than the flat panel heaters some people use.

As other's have said, that's very kind of you to take on that pregnant dog. Shame on your neighbor
sad.png

Wow! Thanks for the compliments; I wasn't expecting that at all! It's not that I'm kind (at least, don't tell anyone! LOL!)...I just can't stand to see suffering. I'm hoping she DOESN'T have a lot of puppies. She's had 4 litters in the 2 years I've lived here, and normally only one or two make it out alive. I've been working on him to let me get her spayed; please put in a prayer that this time, I'll be able to persuade him.

I forgot to put the website link:

http://sweeterheater.com/bizweb.asp

If you click on products, you will see that the 11" heater uses 32 watts, 0.3 amps and the 40" long heater uses 150 watts, 1.4 amps. That's less than the fan I run in the coop during the summer.

The owner said that they produce a laminar heat flow using resistors. He also said that if the heat can't escape (for instance, if something blocks it), it's designed to short out and stop running. I thought that was nice to know.

I think I'm going to have to get one, just so I know if there's really a safer, effective and more energy efficient heat source out there. Plus, if it works, it will make Princessa's life so much more enjoyable for the next few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom