Anybody have any howling dogs?

Does it sound higher pitch like bantam rooster's crows?
Like your dog, when they are howling at coyotes it typically starts as barking and changes to a mournful sound, followed by a few more barks and more howling. It's how you would imagine a wolf I suppose. An ar ar arroooooo. For sirens and trains, it's a high pitched whiny sound to match the wailing of a siren. When they're bored, it's typically low and drawn out but it varies.

My German Shepherd mix howled twice exactly. Only after we had lived next to a hound dog that would howl every time he heard a siren. We moved and the first time an ambulance went by, my dog howled. Even though he had never done it before. The next time an ambulance went by, he howled once and never again. It was like he was doing the hound dog's job for him then gave up.

Maggie and Rosie, our two donkeys, bray if they think I’ve forgotten their dinner time.

C9F723DD-66B2-42B8-84EB-F0ABBC75896D.jpeg

When they start up, Dusty, a geriatric lab/shepherd and Sissy, our little pit rescue, join in enthusiastically. It sounds like Bremen Town Musicians

6879D654-618C-4EEE-8820-040F85139D14.jpeg

How it all started is hilarious. These two dogs came to us as a pair, adopted together when their owner died. I’d never heard either of them howl until one day when they were in the car with me in town. A squad of fire engines came tearing down the street right beside us with their sirens blaring. Initially the dogs looked at each other as if in surprise, then they both starting howling alone with the fire trucks! I thought it might be because the volume hurt their ears, but these dogs were singing! I had to howl too. After that, when they heard the donkeys bray at home they seemed to take that as a cue that they should join in, and so should their people, and so we do.

Back
Top Bottom