Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

I don't have any lavenders in my flocks and I'm trying to eliminate all blues. (Mom has one rooster she is fond of, he's a leaky blue)
Henk69 once showed this photo for a dun/choc millie fluer.

I've seen pics of much lighter chocolate porcelain than this one. Still don't think you'll know for sure till you breed that pullet. Do you have pics in chick down? My fun chicks have had a bluish tone rather than typical chocolate.

What was the question? Nice hen.
She's wanting to know if you can tell her pullet is dun or recessive chocolate. In an earlier post, I think she stated some had more of a cooler tone than this pretty chocolate so I'm guessing Dun. She wanted to know now, hoping that there was something to tell her like shafting or under color to tell the difference.

I'm wondering why she thinks it's a mutation.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's a mutation because all my crosses to d'uccles, to bring in color, resulted in a loss a half of d'uccle attributes, such as ear muffs, the addition of wattles, and so on. Also, mottles require two genes to show. The breeds I choose to cross to my d'uccles have no mottles, so she CAN"T be a cross. Therefore, both her parents are pure d'uccle, since she has all d'uccle physiology.

She's wanting to know if you can tell her pullet is dun or recessive chocolate. In an earlier post, I think she stated some had more of a cooler tone than this pretty chocolate so I'm guessing Dun. She wanted to know now, hoping that there was something to tell her like shafting or under color to tell the difference.

I'm wondering why she thinks it's a mutation.

Dun and chocolate phenotype is overlapping.
For dun one of the parents should be expressing dun or have it hidden under white.
Sexlinked chocolate could be carried by her forefathers without noticing. But somehow it should have been brought in.

If it truely is a new mutation, all bets are off... ;)

Back
Top Bottom