Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

Thanks, guys. I'll be breeding her to a reg millie fluer roo. I'm totally amazed that what should have taken several generations took one....Somewhere, there has got to be a d'uccle roo hiding choc. in my pen.

In the end, it's still going to be breeding that will tell you want you're asking. If she's dun, you'll hatch some like her. If she's chocolate, none of the chicks will be chocolate but all of her sons will carry it.

You commented about some "others" that sounded more like dun, where are they?

If she's chocolate, 50% of the females will show it, none of the males. Not sure what you next question was about.
Not sure where you are getting this? choc females pass the gene only to their sons. Bred to a black, the sons will all be split to choc (Choc+/choc). Daughters will be Choc+/- Only if the father carries choc will you get choc daughters.

If she's chocolate, 50% of the females will show it, none of the males. Not sure what you next question was about.
That is incorrect. If she is chocolate, none of her chicks will show chocolate coloring but all of her sons will carry it. If she is dun, half the pullets and half the cockerels will be dun. This is definitely not a mutation. The dun and chocolate genes are not new and they were introduced somewhere in your lines.

My bad. I didn't know the genes only crossed by opposite sex. I just assumed that if it takes 1 gene to show, any carrier could give it to a pullet.
First off, you have to know if this chocolate color is made from the Dun gene or the Recessive/Sex linked chocolate gene. I'm betting yours is dun.
But, you can't know which for sure, until you breed or unless you know which breed was used to bring in the color since the genes are well known in certain breeds.
Dun breeds like blue does. You have to have a parent that "is" dun (visually) to make a dun, just like in blue. Dun could have been brought in using OEG or Polish, not thinking Polish for sure so it was likely an OEG crossed in to give this color and I think that's what you have.
If it is recessive chocolate that you have there, then there is basically only the Serama or the bantam Orpington to breed in to get the color. The Serama is a possible. You will not get chocolate color in the chicks when you breed that pullet unless you breed her back to her sire and he is carrying chocolate.

You should know which.......

Here are some recent pictures

Chocolate Hens (Orpington/Ameraucana cross) and their sons (Black/split for chocolate, my black Araucana is their sire)
My LF Chocolate Araucana Project

Their offspring
2 older pullets.

A younger offspring, appears to be a cockerel. (I hope)

Back
Top Bottom