Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

Pics

Georgia Boy 1970

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Northeast Ga. Banks County
Would like to see some pics of dun or chocolate colored chickens. Seen some dun sumatras and looking for some. Does anyone have a project ongoing trying to breed dun or chocolate into an existing breed. Please share. Thanks

I Asked the same thing about breeding this color. I have seen posts where people were going to try and then nothing after that. Google Chocolate Orpington and look at the websites from the UK. They are beautiful! Unfornatley, the only breed that may carry the Chocolate gene in the United States is the Serama and I am finding that those Breeders are not too interested in color genetics. There are Old English Game Bird Bantams and Wyandotte Bantams that are a Chocolate color but they do not breed true, they have the Dun gene which works like the Blue gene, you will get Chocolate, Black and Splash when you bred them. I am on a waiting list with a Breeder of Seramas for a Chocolate Rooster, he has a Chocolate hen but she has a copper head so I am waiting for a solid rooster. I might be waiting a long time! I am considering getting some Bantams to cross with some large fowl and see what I get. Chocolate is such a beautiful color. I don't understand why more people aren't working on it.

I loooooovvvve chocolate. As in dun. I breed Polish, and I have a chocolate pen. In Polish we don't get splash though, we get khaki--super cool.
cool.png
I've also got chocolate cuckoo. It's not recognized (chocolate and khaki and cuckoo are), but I really like it.

The dun sumatra are gorgeous. There's a gal on here that has them, but darn if I can remember her username. If my mind somehow miraculously recovers that bit of info, I will edit & update my post.
smile.png

ETA: I remember, I remember! I think it is sunsetswest that has dun sumatra. Maybe she'll find this thread and can post some pictures for ya.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Sunsetswest no longer has any sumatras because I bought what was left after a bear and coyote went through her farm. I do not have a roo but I have a pullet. I do hope to have some one day. I was told if you breed a black and khaki you will get a dun.

Chocolate is not dun and dun is not chocolate, its a completely different gene... to get true chocolate the only one so far in my research that carrys the true chocolate(in USA) is seramas, and they are hard to find except for msbear *cough cough* lol ...she found a beautiful hen that i envy..you will likly have to sift the serama world and maybe even find one in a back yard , but to breed true chcolate you cant use dun. I have been looking for a while for a chocolate, ive had a couple just at my finger tips only for them to slip aaway...its a hard project to keep going but Ive got nothing but time LOL There have some some Orps that produced chocolate but they were either quickly culled or stolen from the folks I have talked to, hopefuly if it pops up again they wont be culled, the color is beautiful and desired...
cool.png
I feel your pain...

Quote:
Oh, that's a bummer about sunsetswest's birds.
sad.png
Must be hard to lose birds like that.

Yep, dun works like black/blue/splash: chocolate (dun) acts like blue, khaki acts like splash. So black X khaki = 100% chocolate (dun). So if your pullet is khaki, you can breed her to a black rooster to get all dun/chocolate. If she's dun/chocolate, you can breed her to a black rooster and get 50% black and 50% dun/chocolate.

Last edited:
I bought some giant frizzle cochins from a person on ebay he also has dun sumatras. he has been great to work with he has some for sale right now coups-coops go to ebay and search sumatra eggs they pop right up.

Back
Top Bottom