Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

Yes, all mine are from Jerry's. Here is the hen they're out of

This first picture isn't in very good lighting
8809_serama01oct09.jpg

Here she is in better lighting but not standing up as pretty
8809_seramahendiamond05mar2010_02.jpg

Actually dun, looks a lot like chocolate. Chocolate is the sex linked gene in seramas, I believe? Dun is dominant, has nothing to do with sex, and acts more like andalusian blue than it does lavender (which is recessive, but its the same "diluter" principle tho). Two copies of the dun gene makes khaki, whereas, two copies of the andalusian blue gene makes splash.

Here is my WC chocolate (dun) bantam Polish hen:

20890_wm_1001_polish_chocolate.jpg

Last edited:
We have a breeding pen of true chocolate OEG bantams. I don't have pics at the moment, but I will be offering eggs for sale in the next few weeks. Wait till you see these beauty's.
wink.png

Last edited:
It's very hard to tell a difference. The only real way is to test mate. True chocolate is recessive so, when bred to black you will get all black (splits) You will need to breed them to chocolate to get chocolate. (like the lavender gene)

Dun, when bred to black, will give you 50% dun and 50% black (like andalusion blue)

Here is a chocolate hen

cocoa.jpg

looks very similar to that polish

Khaki is a faded dun. (splash)

Now that "looks" like I would expect chocolate to look. I wonder if mine are dun then since the pullet is so light colored. I'm still trying to figure out the young rooster, he looks like a flat black with some brown tones here and there but he looks black. Can he "be" black if his down was brown? I looked up chick down colors and he was exactly like the chicks down for chocolate. I realize he is still immature but I'm dying to see how he will look when he's mature. I'm keeping him and plan to breed him back to the hen he's out of and the light colored pullet that is a full sibling so maybe that will settle it. The rooster is mottled and I really don't know what to call his color except maybe to call him "All of the above"
tongue.png

The crazy colors of the Serama is a part of the reason I really love them but I'm trying to learn about poultry color genetics so I think I bit off more than I can chew
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom