Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

My silkie Serama hen is chocolate color- "missy" 4 yrs old:

16448_sersilkchochen.jpg

Tammie

Quote:
Almost correct, if the chocolate parent is a hen.
If the roo is chocolate all the pullets from him will be chocolate!
Chocolate is a sexlinked recessive.

Chocolate, and dun also, can be very dark, up to black.

I'm planning to sell the little cockerel I posted here. He's 3 months old now and his weight is 7.5 ounces. He's mostly feathered out so I'm giving him more time to mature before I'd ship him and I may keep him this summer to test breed him back to the hen he's out of. If he's chocolate, he would be a nice cross for a chocolate hen and if the hen he is out of has the chocolate gene, then we should get chocolate from that cross.

Since the (assumed) chocolate parent is likely my hen Diamond (the rooster is mottled so no telling what genes he has), then my little black cockerel should be a split? Can you explain what a split is? I'm guessing it means the little black cockerel would appear black then carry the chocolate gene?

As I understand the OEGBs only have DUn also not chcoclate, but the OEGB breeders referr to it as chocolate. hence the confusion...
wink.png

I have a really beautiful dark chocolate long tail hen. I wonder if someone can tell me if the pattern has a name. She came from a batch of proto-onagadori eggs but I have never seen another bird her color. I wondered if she could be a sumatra. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. I love this thread!

I guess what is most confusing is seeing photo's and no information. Since chickens are not registered like horses, most (there are probably some breeders who keep very good records) don't have any sort of pedigree to study. I'm not sure I like that. The chicken genetics are so much more complex than equine genetics and with horses there are even color tests. I don't get why there isn't some form of pedigree for chickens out there, other than the hen came from so and so's breeding pen.
When there are "brown", "dun", "khaki" and "chocolate" to choose from for chickens, you have to have a degree in chicken genetics to figure it out,
tongue.png
Even before there were tests, the equine genetics could be figured out using a pedigree and knowing the rules of how colors reproduce. The chickens have sooo many more colors and combinations that haven't been figured out yet that if there were better records, I think it would help.

Can those who posted photo's here also (not verify) but explain why yours are the color they say they are? For example, does your chocolate colored chicken have 2 chocolate parents? Is your dun colored hen from a "?" colored rooster and hen? Is the khaki from 2 dun parents?......etc.

I never thought it would make any difference to have a pedigree for a chicken, but what I see is that there are a Lot of people who would pay very well for specific colors so it would be well worth everyone's time to know what they have and how the colors work to breed them. I am "trying" to learn. Without some background on what all mine are out of makes it tough, I'll have to have a few generations so I can see what they produce but it would be so much simpler to have a pedigree with photo's to work with. I think I will work on a form for a pedigree for mine that includes a photo so I can start keeping records. Is anyone already doing this?

Back
Top Bottom